Search the forum,

Discuss Spanish Plumbing Nightmare in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Spanish Plumbing Nightmare
My house was built 14 years ago in the typical spanish way. I decided to refurbish the bathroom and modernise it. Let me tell you a little about spanish plumbing so that you can understand my problem a little better.

Many spanish properties has a drain smell problem which is accepted as a fact of life. Like most spanish properties my house does not have a soil stack. I used a local plumber/builder for the refurbishment. He does not speak English and uses a nephew as his interpreter. When he opened up the floor he showed me the drainage system. Underneath the toilet was a 2 feet by 2 feet cemented cesspit. It was full of cockroaches. All the toilet waste drops into this and there is a pipe on the opposite side for it to flow in the drains. They use silicon around the base of the toilet to control smells.

I told him I wanted a proper pvc drainage pipe system and he filled up the cesspit with cement. He used 125mm pipes to take the waste out of the house. He left a piece of the pipe and it said 125mm 3,2 on the side. The bell end of the 125mm pipe was flush with the tiled floor.

When the job was completed I told him that I could smell the drains. He reluctantly dimantled the toilet and I could immediately see the problem. He had used a reducer to connect the toilet bowl but it was 90-110. The toilet waste pipe with the reducer (110mm) was just sitting in the 125mm pipe. It was so loose that I could move it from side to side. Idiotic I know.

We had a bit of an argument and I told him that the join of the two pipes must be a proper tight fit. He told me he sorted this out and replaced the toilet. He did go to the local equivalent of B&Q but could not get a suitable fitting to seal the two pipes. I could see that he was clearly improvising with different bits of pipes and some spare fittings. He put silicone round the base of the toilet.

I recall that he did show me a fitting but said that it protruded too much out of the 125mm pipe and then he could not fit the pipe from the toilet bowl.

I had to return to the UK the next day. When I returned and used the toilet for a day I noticed some water on the floor in the vicinity of the toilet bowl. I noticed that two little holes had appeared in the silicone near the little pools of water. These two holes were on the grout line.

The leak is not continuous. I did not notice it for a day and then I saw a little puddle near the front of the toilet bowl. It looked to me as if somewhere was filling up with water during the course of the day and then leaking out. This is just an assumption. I contacted the plumber/builder but he was on holiday. He returns on Monday and I need to confront him about the leak. I need some advice on what are the possible causes of the leak. I then want to make sure he does a proper repair. I suspect that he will try and improvise again. Temporarily control the leak and get out of my house as quickly as possible.

I obviously want him to correctly identify the source of the leak and then fix it properly.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Many thanks
PaddyW

Have you established that the 'sewer' you are connecting to permits direct discharge? The cesspit was there for a reason...

Cesspits need to be emptied periodically. My guess is that this maintenance has been overlooked for some years.

I think you need advice from a Spanish professional. You may well have to reinstate the cesspit.

Can’t you use a uk pan connector?

Can’t you use a uk pan connector?
Shaun is spot on ....plumb all the soil in using Uk spec stuff
and get it well away...then dump it in a Spanish set up
we had property in Var...Southern France between Marseille
and Toulon.La Cadiere ..the plumbing and soil pipe system was very poor
I took a load of Uk stuff and Instructed our Plumbier Monsior
Bechtwoir how it might be assembled ...he was happy and it
worked.... however its not speedy there...its always
Demain...tomorrow ..but cash speaks anywhere
centralheatking

Thank you for all your replies and questions. I will try to answer them all.

In terms of the cesspit. Perhaps the word "cesspit" is too dramatic a description. It is a 24 inch square cemented box and is 18 inches deep. All the waste goes into this and the toilet flush should push all this into an exit pipe at the opposite end. The waste is not intended to stay in this pit but this can happen occasionally if the flush is a little weak. The waste flows directly into the sewer.

The pipe is 125mm and I attach a photo of a spare piece of the pipe. I cannot photo the connection until the plumber removes the toilet bowl.

Shaun asks why I can't use a UK pan connector. I would if I could find one that could be used on a 125mm pipe. I really do not know why the plumber used 125mm.

A few of you mentioned that I need a good plumber. That is something that I already know well.

Any advice warmly welcomed.

Paddy

Use a reducer if you can either a fernco coupling or I’m sure the Spanish have something eg internal reducer etc

I know that I need a reducer but I don't know where to get one that I can use on the 125mm. If anyone knows of a suitable reducer please let me know. If necessary I will get it shipped from the UK.

Thank you for the suggestion but the soil pipe is flush with the tiled floor. There is no pipe extending from the floor that this reducer could be attached to. The reducer I need will have to fit inside the bell end of the pvc pipe.

Thank you for the suggestion but the soil pipe is flush with the tiled floor. There is no pipe extending from the floor that this reducer could be attached to. The reducer I need will have to fit inside the bell end of the pvc pipe.
MultiKwick are very versatyle and can be made to do all sorts of jobs they dont list. Eg.They can be made to connect cast to plastic 4 inch...have a look and be inventive. centralheatking

I have spent a lot of time going around construction and plumbers suppliers looking for a solution without any joy. I saw a lot of heads being scratched but no answers. One place had a 125 - 110 reducer but it was external and had a bell end which was no good as the reducer I want needs to fit over the bell end of the pipe.

I was giving up hope of a solution and decided to call into a local plumber before giving up the quest. In broken Spanish I explained the problem and within 2 minutes he put the perfect internal reducer in my hand. The solution came from a practical working plumber. Why didn't I go to him in the first place?

Reply to Spanish Plumbing Nightmare in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock