Search the forum,

Discuss Someone got to start this one 🤔 in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

What does everyone think of the ‘key workers’ list? Do us gas and water folks fall into that category do you think? Or are they talking about the supply chain

If we go full lock down I would imagine we still need to be working, emergencies only of course.

The retired / left at a younger age staff will be used in non critical non at risk of Virus areas.
People will still get sick with other ailments and need hospitalisation.

There are a lot of younger Nurses no longer working on the front line.
My Daughter in law who's only 40 is qualified and still registered but doesn't work in hospitals, she's in Public Health for a local authority, but needs her knowledge and qualification to do the job.
She has at least 2 part time, qualified but no longer registered, Nurses that work with her.
Her and her staff have moved into bigger offices and gained extra staff twice so far

Amongst hundreds of other things they've been planning community testing, which was always going to happen.

Some people think U.K Gov and others have been sitting back and not doing much, there has been a massive effort behind the scenes.

I was being a little mischievous but thank you for the clarification.

Finally.

Cafes, bars, pubs and restaurants must close tonight
Johnson says the government is strengthening the measures announced on Monday – avoiding unnecessary social contact.
Following agreement of all the four nations of the UK, Johnson said all cafes, bars, pubs and restaurants must close tonight.
Night clubs, theatres, gyms, cinemas and leisure centures must also close on the same timescale.

Finally.

Cafes, bars, pubs and restaurants must close tonight
Johnson says the government is strengthening the measures announced on Monday – avoiding unnecessary social contact.
Following agreement of all the four nations of the UK, Johnson said all cafes, bars, pubs and restaurants must close tonight.
Night clubs, theatres, gyms, cinemas and leisure centures must also close on the same timescale.
What do you mean by finally mate? I’m lost.

Had my first job cancelled today the retired couple and their family have put the job on hold till we all know whats going to happen with this virus its going to become a serious problem if it carries on longer than a few months , my wife has now been told she cannot work for 12 weeks and has to stay at home and limit contact as she has diabetes and is high risk , grim times ahead chaps. Stay well people. Kop

Trust you & yours keep well @king of pipes Shaun ;)

I think it all got very serious today, I am confident that this unprecedented situation is being managed well. At the end of the day it’s down to individuals and families to do what’s best for them and where they can help others. That’s my approach. As I understand no power switch offs, no evictions rented or otherwise and once the sheep can cram no more into their cupboards things will reach some sort of balance. Also a good thing is how we have come to appreciate the the previously unseen and often derided now important jobs in society. Centralheatking

I think this new chancellor had come across quite well it remains to be seen if he lived up to his promises ? Alot of people have probably breathed a sigh of relief not alot of help for the self employed mind but thats no surprise is it , picked up a boiler change today and a bit of tiling in a kitchen so with the work I have should be ok for the foreseeable . Keep well all regards kop

Too soon for this closure. Shops on the high street still open, more chance of catching it there than at the local.

But what will be will be.

I think this new chancellor had come across quite well it remains to be seen if he lived up to his promises ? Alot of people have probably breathed a sigh of relief not alot of help for the self employed mind but thats no surprise is it , picked up a boiler change today and a bit of tiling in a kitchen so with the work I have should be ok for the foreseeable . Keep well all regards kop
Make sure you take a 50% deposit mate.

Is that what your doing H ? I get the customer to purchase the boiler and main parts now mate keeps me under the Vat I sort it at my merchants they ring up and pay a account payment I know I lose out a bit but often add a few consumables to it they don't seem to mind . Keep well mate . Cheers kop

Reckon that with all the pub, gym, leisure centres etc being closed and loss of income in households the divorce rate will soar as one partner has nowhere to escape to.

Best get on ya boat and sail off into the sunset bud :D . On a lighter note maybe when this whole virus nightmare is under control people and the countries around the world will look at the way they have conducted themselves, show a bit more compassion and understanding for each other stop the fighting , killing and suffering and work towards tolerant and a more peaceful world . Stay safe all kop

Being on the boat means I'm self isolating 90% of the time anyway and I can always cast off and get out on the quiet waters for a different view out of the window plus with the pubs being shut moorings are plentiful lol.
People are withdrawing their boats from the market Oz not expecting buyers to view and brokers to be on skeleton staff at the moment, reckon that now could be a time to get a bargain tbh.

What do you mean by finally mate? I’m lost.
I mean that advising people to avoid pubs was never going to be enough, though I agree with others that other shops are equally likely to be areas of contagion.

The Italian lockdown is not enough to prevent spread, but it does seem to be slowing it down a bit. The UK has started the shutdown earlier, but the measures taken in the UK are still far less strict.

Two funny things I saw today. Man standing outside bookies can’t believe it and the pub next door are closed...where has he been. Second man in Boots buying £34 worth of ****** sensible man, no pub or bookies so 3 rd best form of entertainment Centralheatking

This was the queue at Aldi this morning ....not ...in fact it was all very civilized ..maybe things are calming down.
1DAB9326-20D8-48FC-B796-B21CB14A1F63.png

In the light of the figures in Italy... 800 dead yesterday! I’m thinking of changing my approach. I’m due to visit 4 different properties tomorrow. Two gas safety checks, 1 service and replace a unvented control valve. I’m seriously thinking about rescheduling the gas safety checks and the service. They are due but could wait two weeks?

You all have to do what you think is best for you and your loved ones , and protect your customers.

There’s an interesting dilemma going round my head about the gas safety checks. Essentially I am putting the virus above them in a risk assessment. I’ve serviced them for years, I’m 99% sure they are perfectly safe but legally they are due and the landlord would be liable if anything happened.

I think they would make a exception in this case bud but its your choice at the end of the day . Kop

As of this afternoon, we are going into almost complete lockdown.
School's nation wide are closing in 48 hours.
School holidays scheduled in a weeks time but no date when schools will resume
All non essential services are being shut.
States are closing their borders - except for essential services.

We have a few things booked, but cancelling all non-essential works.
Just have to see how things pan out and see how serious the lockdown is.

I'm sure all major building works will cease this week.

There’s an interesting dilemma going round my head about the gas safety checks. Essentially I am putting the virus above them in a risk assessment. I’ve serviced them for years, I’m 99% sure they are perfectly safe but legally they are due and the landlord would be liable if anything happened.
That would be my line of thinking too.

Yes, the landlord would be liable, but that's his problem, and if he can't get the boiler serviced by anyone, that might lend him the judge's sympathy. Your responsibility is to your own safety and that of any employees, and we're in an international emergency.

After all, what is the probability that a boiler, diligently inspected a year ago, is ID? To be honest, if the boiler were in my own house, I wouldn't really want you coming to service it.

6500 new cases in Italy yesterday, up from 6000 the day before. We still haven't reached a peak in new cases.

The best representation of the facts about the virus I have yet to see, it’s self explanatory you might need to blow it up a bit. It shows the real risks and effects.
A9FC90B4-CF08-4775-9633-6AFAD6C07A00.png

I am in a similar situation but with commercial clients. I am going to ring them next week and determine a course of action where we can both be safe and the boilers / heaters are also safe.
I dont do domestic and glad in a way as i think the approach needed for these will entail, the client staying well out of the way and using high power cleaning sprays both before you go in and when you come out, along with desposible latex gloves, mask.... similar to how our doctors and nurses carry out , what is a daily routine against infection for them.

The gas safe website says they should be completed still.
Agreed H or completed up to 8 weeks prior to needing it , what I am saying is in these testing times ahead a modern well maintained boiler will not cause a major risk to health if left 3 months over its last service and gas safety check , there is a greater risk to the customer and ourselves of contracting or spreading this virus , we are being advised to keep away from eachother and common sense needs to be applied here. Look after your own health and that of your customers, I will be avoiding visiting multiple addresses and servicing appliances in favour of concentrating on work involving just one address and with the least amount of contact with people. Regards kop

3 of my old farts who used to do medi gas have been contacted by our old sub contractor to see if they would go and put some streets in. Now they want me to factor the work like I used to do...
ie pay them and wait to get paid...It was a yes as Gordon the Moron who used to run the outfit in Brum has long gone and the new fella is offering way less than 100 days ...they do oxygen and vac all brazed with a nitrogen flood to blow any crap out. It appears there out of date certificates do not matter so it might be men in transits all over again ...my Mrs will go ballistic we used to disappear for 12 14 days
Centralheatking

Hi Rob, @centralheatking could I get into this type of work? What qualifications/certificates are required?
Cheers Jim

Hi Rob, @centralheatking could I get into this type of work? What qualifications/certificates are required?
Cheers Jim
I will ask what are/we’re their certs and training ..watch out tho it was for us bank holidays xmas etc and they worked on a set hours contract for each job which I used to argue with Gordon the Moron about before we turned up and sometimes when we arrived and had to threaten to drive away unless we got more. The work was dead easy really, and I only got paid after the medical pharmacist passed the street often a week or many later

Are we classed as Key Workers? (Plumbers/Heating Engineers) Getting conflicting messages...
Here's the list for whether you are 'key' enough for a school to look after your kids:

Plumbing and heating engineers per se aren't on it. It's possible that a small number might qualify because they are necessary to keep essential services running but that'll be the exception rather than the rule.

There may be other lists but I'm not aware of them.

Reply to Someone got to start this one 🤔 in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock