Search the forum,

Discuss Solution to inaccessible Isolation valve rubber in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
My toilet tank pipe seats eactly above a straight isolation valve; it is leaking from its top. I believe it is due to the valve's rubber which I found in a bad state.
The main water supply valve is jammed; I don't want to force it. I was hoping to be able to lift the toilet water tank but I could not.
Can I cut a rubber to slide it through the pipe? Will it work? Is there a better solution? Thank you

New fibre washer required but your going to have to turn the water off so sounds like a plumber is required to sort the main stop tap out first

Attachments

• 3990109_1.jpg
    3990109_1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 13
Yeah, as per Shaun, new fibre washer required. Is there any wriggle room in the pipe? Alternatively you could (if the cistern is fully empty), undo the plastic backnut, lift the inlet valve slightly and replace the washer - be careful with this method though, susceptible to cross threading.

Yeah, as per Shaun, new fibre washer required. Is there any wriggle room in the pipe? Alternatively you could (if the cistern is fully empty), undo the plastic backnut, lift the inlet valve slightly and replace the washer - be careful with this method though, susceptible to cross threading.
Many thanks for all your responses. I unscrewed the toilet cistern, I tried gently to detach it from the toilet seat but I was no successful. However, this video shows that the toilet cistern is detachable. I wonder will there be any damage if I remove it? Or should I try to lift it slightly just to insert the washer?Thank you

Undo the screws that hold the toilet and cistern to the wall and floor on that side and tilt the toilet

Reply to Solution to inaccessible Isolation valve rubber in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi! Our main stopcock is weeping. I phoned the water company, first-person thought it was their problem as it was on the 'outside' of the water meter. Then another person called me to schedule a visit and they told me that its not their problem as both the water meter and the leaky stopcock are...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
Hey all, Looking for some advice. My mother recently had her boiler changed but in the process the water had to be turned on and off as you would expect and the engineer broke of the handle. Luckily it seems you can close the valve with some pliers on the but I don't believe this is best for...
Replies
Views
Hi, The isolation valve feeding my toilet cistern was leaking. After considerable effort, I was able to lift up the cistern to put an O-ring washer around the top of the inner circle referred to with an arrow in the attached image. Unfortunately, when I let the water through, there was a burst...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have to replace the flush valve and/or the washer but unfortunately it's inside the vanity unit. The only way is removing the toilet. I turned the screw on the cistern pipe to stop the water. I removed all the silicon around the toilet, now I can easily lift up the Front panel but...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock