Search the forum,

Discuss solar tank costs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Selfbuilder3

Hello.

I'm looking to buy a 200 ltr (or there about's) solar hot water tank with second coil for a log burning stove.

The price range is vast from around £300 on ebay to £800 for a Grant make for example.

Is there a difference between the 300 and 800 quid tanks and if so what?.

They do the same job in my eyes. there does not seam to be any comparible data on any of the product descriptions such as how good the solar coil is transfering the heat to the tank and how good the insulation is etc.

The only thing that i see regular in the description is the thickness of the metal and the foam.

I be grateful for any relavant info.

Thanks DJ :smiley2:

Last edited by a moderator:
The thicker the metal and foam then clearly the longer the water will stay hot for, you'd be surprised how much energy a little extra insulation can save.

One will be made in china and be crap, the other won't be.

You get what you pay for in all instances. The more expensive cylinder will be better quality construction, have better recovery rates (heat up times) and better energy efficiency.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

most good manufactures will give you the temp loss per hour or kWh/day of the cylinder if you ask. There is a BS for this but i cant remember the exact figure cylinders should be designed too. The less energy lost the better if you are trying to use solar only during the summer.

As per above cheap generally equals corners cut, inferior grade stainless used, thinner gauge, etc. also it may have a warenty but if the company are no longer around or not contactable who is going to honour.

As an aside if I were putting a wood burner and solar together into one system I would use a thermal store, heated directly from the wood burner and via a coil for the solar.

As per above cheap generally equals corners cut, inferior grade stainless used, thinner gauge, etc. also it may have a warenty but if the company are no longer around or not contactable who is going to honour.

As an aside if I were putting a wood burner and solar together into one system I would use a thermal store, heated directly from the wood burner and via a coil for the solar.

I am beginning to really want a thermal store in my house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

I quite like the thermal store idea and looking into the tank sizes (internet searching) can be vast from 300 to 1700 ltr (one site suggested 1700 ltr would be good if charged to heat a 4 bed house for a day) my problem is the tank will be gravity fed off the wood burner/back boilder to the first floor and im no structural engineer but my first floor joists (wood 3" x 9" c24 grade at 400mm centres) would have me sleeping with one eye open every night on 1700 ltr with the total weight of about 2 tonnes on bits of spanned wood.

I assume the thermal store suggestion just lets me link up my solar with logstove/backboiler (the best set-up) and the ltr size depends on what i can do and what i want to heat?.

again i be grateful for any relevant advice.

Thanks DVJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to solar tank costs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello Everyone, I have customer with solar that doesn't seem to be working so only gets 1/2 a tank of hot water which is heated by the central heating system. She can't find a company to come out and service the wet solar system and she is looking at getting loft conversion in the future will...
Replies
Views
Hello! I have a new Vaillant boiler being installed and will install a new cylinder at the same time. Our installer is recommending a UK Cylinders ProLite Air twin coil solar indirect unvented cylinder 300ltr. According to specs the standing heat loss is 1.80 kWh/24h which seems pretty decent...
Replies
Views
Hi sorry bit of an odd query here. With the increases in energy costs now and in the future we are trying to find any way to reduce our exposure (retired couple on fixed incomes). We are fortunate enough to have bought solar panels at the beginning of the year but as we head towards winter the...
Replies
Views
I’d like some advice and opinions please. I have a 150 year old stone cottage ( 2 foot thick solid stone walls) some roof insulation and double glazed windows in a very cold exposed hill top position in the north western Yorkshire Dales. we are planning to put underfloor heating downstairs and...
Replies
Views
Hi, sorry this is so long. I have tried to give all relevant info. We are building a new, small, two-storey house that is off grid for power. There are only a few companies that do central heating systems locally, and they are aimed at the very top end of the market. We are at the lower end of...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock