Search the forum,

Discuss Solar Help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robtheplumb

Hi
We have a client with a problematic solar DHW system, we think we have the answer to the problems, however would like to put it on here to see what you all think!
The system is a Smart energy set up, 30 evacuated tubes, on a ssw facing pitched roof, convaluted stainlees pipework in siamesed insulation, pumping station in loft, and 1200x450 solar cylinder.
The problem is, that although the system has worked well in the past, over the last couple of years the customer has been experiencing banging coming from the loft, and eventually a faliure of the system.
A collegue of ours has had a look at the system, and ended up stripping and cleaning out the pump and pumping station, on doing this small hard white balls were found to be obstrucing the pump, these were removed, the system refilled, and all was ok for a short while, but now the problem persists.
The controller is functioning as it should, the pump cuts in and out ok, and the system holds pressure.
Our thoughts are that the system is a bit on the tube heavy side, and that it is boiling up during prolonged sunshine and breaking down the fluid due to high temperatures in the system, imho, 20 tubes is more than adequate for this size of cylinder, in this situation.
Would be interested to hear eveyone elses thoughts!

Have you fit that pump back to correct direction. It sounds like you having a water hammer too. Check any valves which might be causing a restriction to flow as this will make the pump work inappropriate way and end up burning the pump.

Sound like the fluid is boiling and hammering out the safety valve. Is there a bypass fitted which may be stuck

last time i found little white balls in a pump, they turned out to be the insulation from the header tank. (white polystyrene lid had fell in and disintergrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Solar Help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock