Search the forum,

Discuss Solar Help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robtheplumb

Hi
We have a client with a problematic solar DHW system, we think we have the answer to the problems, however would like to put it on here to see what you all think!
The system is a Smart energy set up, 30 evacuated tubes, on a ssw facing pitched roof, convaluted stainlees pipework in siamesed insulation, pumping station in loft, and 1200x450 solar cylinder.
The problem is, that although the system has worked well in the past, over the last couple of years the customer has been experiencing banging coming from the loft, and eventually a faliure of the system.
A collegue of ours has had a look at the system, and ended up stripping and cleaning out the pump and pumping station, on doing this small hard white balls were found to be obstrucing the pump, these were removed, the system refilled, and all was ok for a short while, but now the problem persists.
The controller is functioning as it should, the pump cuts in and out ok, and the system holds pressure.
Our thoughts are that the system is a bit on the tube heavy side, and that it is boiling up during prolonged sunshine and breaking down the fluid due to high temperatures in the system, imho, 20 tubes is more than adequate for this size of cylinder, in this situation.
Would be interested to hear eveyone elses thoughts!

Have you fit that pump back to correct direction. It sounds like you having a water hammer too. Check any valves which might be causing a restriction to flow as this will make the pump work inappropriate way and end up burning the pump.

Sound like the fluid is boiling and hammering out the safety valve. Is there a bypass fitted which may be stuck

last time i found little white balls in a pump, they turned out to be the insulation from the header tank. (white polystyrene lid had fell in and disintergrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Solar Help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Two years ago, I requested a fully qualified plumber to change the location of the hot water cylinder in a vented central heating system. I wanted to move it from the first floor to the loft, which he did. During the last two years, I have often noticed when I have been up in the loft that the...
Replies
Views
D
First time posting on here and I am after some help and advice on a project I have ongoing at home - a bit cheeky I know but as they say around here ‘Shy bairnes get nowt’! My children (10 and 8 at the time) were lucky enough to be given an above ground 15ft round swimming pool from some...
Replies
Views
D
Hi all I have a link up system with a dunsley neutraliser. This is connected to a sealed unvented hot water cylinder and a standard gravity fed and pumped central heating system. Both my back boiler and oil fired boiler feed to the neutraliser. The hot water system is protected by plenty of...
Replies
Views
djboyd
D
H
hi i have 70 tubes in 3no. panel(1x30 tube and 2x20 tube) i will connect in series but should i use 15mm or 22mm pipe to connect to pumping station. i am instaling a 1000ltr buffer tank with solar coil and i have 250ltr copper duel coil cylinder for dhw(buffer tank has no provision for dhw)...
Replies
Views
jpsplumbing
J
M
Hi All, I am looking for a solution to a problem i have had with my heating system for a long time. I have an old back boiler downstairs with two pipes leading up from it. i have a cylinder tank in a bedroom and then a header/overflow tank and a large cold water tank in the loft. by the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock