Search the forum,

Discuss Solar compatible cylinder Gledhill SunSpeed 2 Open Vented Indirect Twin Coil Solar Cylinder in the Renewables area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello

I had a solar thermal installation. However, the Gledhill Stainless Steel Lite keepings making popping noises. Anyway, I was looking to have it replaced with another cylinder and found this one: Gledhill SunSpeed 2 Open Vented Indirect Twin Coil Solar Cylinder | Vented Cylinder - https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/gledhill-sunspeed-2-open-vented-indirect-twin-coil-solar-cylinder---1500mm-x-400mm/

My current system is an open vented system (its just I had an unvented plumbed in as a vented). I have a gas fired boiler for the central heating and hot water. It is indirect. I also have an immersion on the cylinder.

The description on the retailer site says "they have purpose built heat exchangers with large surface areas that are specially designed to transfer heat at low temperatures." What does that mean? I want to use it in a domestic property. I have solar thermal via evacuated tubes if that helps.

Will it be compatible? I dont want low temperature water. Thanks.

Have you had the manufacturers out to have a look as there’s a 25 year guarantee?

Have you had the manufacturers out to have a look as there’s a 25 year guarantee?
They have been out once and want to revisit but I want them to change the cylinder as this seems to be a common issue.

Here is another example Advice - Gledhill Stainless Lite - https://www.plumbersforums.net/threads/advice-gledhill-stainless-lite.109589/page-2

But there others examples on the internet.

I will ask them to change to the above if its compatible, if not then I will ask if they can replace with a new cylinder.

Do you know what they mean by "they have purpose built heat exchangers with large surface areas that are specially designed to transfer heat at low temperatures."

Thank you.

Either a heat exchanger bolted on the side or a bigger coil normally 28mm

They have been out once and want to revisit but I want them to change the cylinder as this seems to be a common issue.

Here is another example Advice - Gledhill Stainless Lite - https://www.plumbersforums.net/threads/advice-gledhill-stainless-lite.109589/page-2

But there others examples on the internet.

I will ask them to change to the above if its compatible, if not then I will ask if they can replace with a new cylinder.

Do you know what they mean by "they have purpose built heat exchangers with large surface areas that are specially designed to transfer heat at low temperatures."

Thank you.
It doesn’t mean you will have lower temps. It means the heat exchanger is larger than a typical cylinder to allow more heat transfer.

A gas boiler may send the heat delivery medium (water) at up to around 80c.

Solar/heat pumps will send the medium (often glycol) at lower temps. These lower temps need longer to transfer the heat, thus larger heat exchangers

Reply to Solar compatible cylinder Gledhill SunSpeed 2 Open Vented Indirect Twin Coil Solar Cylinder in the Renewables area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock