Search the forum,

Discuss Soil & waste pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wipe out

Hi guys,

I am in the throws of opening a new plumbing, heating & drainage merchants.

I would like to know your preffered brand of soil and waste pipe...and why, ie: price, availability etc.

Some say Osma, others say, Hunter and terrain, do you think that terrain is to expensive?

Also i will be stocking a substantial amount of boiler spares, so ideally i would like to know what is the most popular combi in your opinion, and what spares do you consider are the most important to stock.

Your answers will help me to get an insight into the stocking of my shop, and the ability to be able to offer people what they want.

Also the shop will open at 6.30 am, will this be a good idea?

Thanks again guys.

PS: Any tips you can offer will be gratefull.

Above you have a good example of how not to set up a business and showing why so many fail due to a sever human flaw...We like to be lazy if we can
Getting over your first impressions, loud bold letters indicating arrogance, lack of understanding of any marketing skills and limited communication skills.
You have this inner belief that you are going to open this shop and we are going to travel miles to buy his goods, thank you for opening a shop and pay any amount within reason
Before you open a shop, start a business, sell hot dogs down the beach, do your market research, research, research and by research I mean ‘meaningful research’
You can not just say I am going to open a plumbing shop, and say ‘what should I stock’
You should check out your area and prospective opersition,sit outside or even better get a job there for a while, see what is moving off the shelves, what product they stock, see what time they open ,when they get most custom and how many,see how many turn up just after they have closed maybe to early
Do your research with the local tradesmen, products can be very local some areas use lots of Polly pipe, others osma, terrain is specified on a lot of larger jobs
Different makes of boilers are more dominant in different parts of the country, you should find your areas dominant boilers, find out what parts are inter changeable between boilers, find out what boiler parts are disposable i.e. diagrams
And you will have runs on things, like over two months you will sell 20 air pressure switches for pumas then you will not sell another one for a year, you will sell 100 12mm to 15mm reducers one mouth and non for 8 mounths,so you have to keep tight controls on stock and not over order
As for the ability the ability to offer people what they want, great within reason, remember 85% of all items now are only 24 hrs away, the biggest sin you can make, is not having a certain shower pump in stock but not having a basic fitting, if I came in for a pump, you did not have it till next day that’s ok but if I came in for a bag of 22mm elbows, two reels of solder and a bent multi quick and you did not have them, I would not bother calling back
Take the Names and tel numbers off the sides of local of vans, ring them up, ask a few questions, get their addresses from directory and mail shot
What customers are you going to get,do'nt forget most have credit accounts were they are,(are they moving to you has there credit is full elsewhere)they have built up friendships with counter staff, you are going to have to move them to you, so you are going to have to brush up on you communication skills
I use my merchant because of service not what they stock, if I need anything they do not have its there the next day, but I know when I order that, that and that for Tuesday it is there, never anything missing, Infact when they are putting an order together if something is missing what they think should be on list, they will ring and check, I may be able to get this for5% cheaper down road or that for 7% on small items but not the service
You see if you open up and say offer me a boiler at £40 off to get me into shop, I would ring my supplier and tell him and he would match it as a one off or maybe meet me half way and I would stick with him
Its not like you are opening a food shop were there is no relationship between customer and counter staff were people will just wonder off if your shop looks nicer or has 2p off a can of beans, you are going to have to break those relationships, which is hard when times are good but now times are harder you can bet the merchants are keeping an eye on their customers
If I were opening a shop I would use the independent card big time, as a lot of us plumbers are independent types and do not really like the big multi nationals or corporate merchants, I use an independent
If I were you, however, I would shelve you plans for now, as I think you are going to loose a lot of money with your little shop and get out and do your own meaningful research but the first thing to do is control and try to loose that ‘Lazy streak’ you have, it has destroyed many a person
ps When I say Lazy in this instance I do not mean you are sat about or spending all day in bed, I refer to the human taint that tends to take the easiest route, so if you want to know the most popular boiler sold you will believe the counter hand who says its a glowworm and go and order 5 glowworms when Infact he just wants to sell you a glowworm as they are not moving off the shelf, if you had checked regional sales figures with manufacturers you would have know the correct data, likewise you ask the plumber what pipe he likes best he says Polly ,you order Polly sell none and then check and find plumber buying oma ,you say why ,he says, I like Polly but all my customers like oma so I have to use it, again you should have checked local sales figures,’ Lazy research'

Last edited by a moderator:
Opening a business during a downturn is a bit mad! but if you have the
knowledge and background in this business then you already have a head
start on people like screwfix and Toolstation. I'd find out what your
competition is like within say 30 odd miles and is there business
making any money, ie lots of customers etc. You have to stock the basics
and as for the big stuff, just have the catalogues ready and see what
people start ordering. What kind of houses are there in your catchment
area, old, newbuild etc, how many are gas,oil,electric. These stats are
available online etc. I remember when i started my management training
with j Sainsburys, the boss said to me there are only three things to
remember when starting up a business - location, location, location. If
youre down a back ally somewhere with sh** parking, you've no chance!
One piece of advice i will give, make sure you make up people's orders
correctly, if someone gets it wrong for me i dont go back, it aint
rocket science putting copper fittings in a bag etc. Try offering that
personal touch, like free hand jobs from the misses - i mean tea and
biscuits!!! Knowledge and personality go a long way - proceed with
caution mate!

I've been doing this job for 5 minutes and already I have 2 suppliers that I use constantly, both are in separate areas depending where I'm working. For me attitude counts for a lot.

There is one independent supplier who just does not show any interest, never smiles, prices aren't brilliant so I drive out of my way to avoid him.

I needed a torbeck fitting yesterday as my usual supplier didn't have any. Went to another independent and was charged £15, when I asked how much for trade they said £15, I normally pay a tenner. I was a little put out, I was then asked if I wanted to open a trade account........... Now thats poor service!

Above you have a good example of how not to set up a business and showing why so many fail due to a sever human flaw...We like to be lazy if we can
Getting over your first impressions, loud bold letters indicating arrogance, lack of understanding of any marketing skills and limited communication skills.
You have this inner belief that you are going to open this shop and we are going to travel miles to buy his goods, thank you for opening a shop and pay any amount within reason
Before you open a shop, start a business, sell hot dogs down the beach, do your market research, research, research and by research I mean ‘meaningful research’
You can not just say I am going to open a plumbing shop, and say ‘what should I stock’
You should check out your area and prospective opersition,sit outside or even better get a job there for a while, see what is moving off the shelves, what product they stock, see what time they open ,when they get most custom and how many,see how many turn up just after they have closed maybe to early
Do your research with the local tradesmen, products can be very local some areas use lots of Polly pipe, others osma, terrain is specified on a lot of larger jobs
Different makes of boilers are more dominant in different parts of the country, you should find your areas dominant boilers, find out what parts are inter changeable between boilers, find out what boiler parts are disposable i.e. diagrams
And you will have runs on things, like over two months you will sell 20 air pressure switches for pumas then you will not sell another one for a year, you will sell 100 12mm to 15mm reducers one mouth and non for 8 mounths,so you have to keep tight controls on stock and not over order
As for the ability the ability to offer people what they want, great within reason, remember 85% of all items now are only 24 hrs away, the biggest sin you can make, is not having a certain shower pump in stock but not having a basic fitting, if I came in for a pump, you did not have it till next day that’s ok but if I came in for a bag of 22mm elbows, two reels of solder and a bent multi quick and you did not have them, I would not bother calling back
Take the Names and tel numbers off the sides of local of vans, ring them up, ask a few questions, get their addresses from directory and mail shot
What customers are you going to get,do'nt forget most have credit accounts were they are,(are they moving to you has there credit is full elsewhere)they have built up friendships with counter staff, you are going to have to move them to you, so you are going to have to brush up on you communication skills
I use my merchant because of service not what they stock, if I need anything they do not have its there the next day, but I know when I order that, that and that for Tuesday it is there, never anything missing, Infact when they are putting an order together if something is missing what they think should be on list, they will ring and check, I may be able to get this for5% cheaper down road or that for 7% on small items but not the service
You see if you open up and say offer me a boiler at £40 off to get me into shop, I would ring my supplier and tell him and he would match it as a one off or maybe meet me half way and I would stick with him
Its not like you are opening a food shop were there is no relationship between customer and counter staff were people will just wonder off if your shop looks nicer or has 2p off a can of beans, you are going to have to break those relationships, which is hard when times are good but now times are harder you can bet the merchants are keeping an eye on their customers
If I were opening a shop I would use the independent card big time, as a lot of us plumbers are independent types and do not really like the big multi nationals or corporate merchants, I use an independent
If I were you, however, I would shelve you plans for now, as I think you are going to loose a lot of money with your little shop and get out and do your own meaningful research but the first thing to do is control and try to loose that ‘Lazy streak’ you have, it has destroyed many a person
ps When I say Lazy in this instance I do not mean you are sat about or spending all day in bed, I refer to the human taint that tends to take the easiest route, so if you want to know the most popular boiler sold you will believe the counter hand who says its a glowworm and go and order 5 glowworms when Infact he just wants to sell you a glowworm as they are not moving off the shelf, if you had checked regional sales figures with manufacturers you would have know the correct data, likewise you ask the plumber what pipe he likes best he says Polly ,you order Polly sell none and then check and find plumber buying oma ,you say why ,he says, I like Polly but all my customers like oma so I have to use it, again you should have checked local sales figures,’ Lazy research'

You are one bitter and jealous individual, for your information i was the one who dictated the message to one of my staff, and she pointed out your inane reply.

If you can find the time to scan the central London editions of the yellow pages, look for the most full page adverts in the plumbing, heating, and drainage catagories, that will give you my company, not bad for a lazy person eh!.

It was intended as an opinion poll, and nothing more.

And as for a "little shop", you could'nt be more wrong, we intend to open several trading units spread across London and the suburbs.

So regarding the "dominant boilers" do you suggest that i get several members of staff to carry out a census in our chosen areas, and ask the general public what type of boiler they own?...i've never heard so much crap in all my life, what are you one of those 12 week course plumbers?.

Go change a tap washer pal, you can google the instructions.

Thanks for the other replies.

good on you wipe out

like the internet in a whole you cannot say everything
but here did
to many in the uk judge to quick . that one more issue

boilers most
plastic terrain
general having stock in

good luck on your next move

pm me your shop address in London:)

Hi Seems there's more heat than light. But if you want to stock lead slates to weather the soil and vent pipes you decide to stock. Ours fit any. If you want further information on range and prices, get in touch. Good Luck

Why was wipe out's second post removed? Was it removed by a mod or did he remove himself. If removed by a mod, why? I think he made a valid response to puddle's rant.

I do not know why it was removed either
But basically it said I was a a##hol#
I was talking c##p,He is the biggest advertiser in central London, and I am probably a 12 week wonder and should stick to replacing tap washers,
I have very broard shoulders
I request any words not allowed be removed and post replaced
I would not have called it a valid response,but a response it was
Below was going to be my reply

Well thank you for your well considered reply 'wipe out’, I suppose you picked your site name, as it fits in with your desire to 'wipe out 'all the opposition and world domination
As usual people who can not pick much fault or argue the post, let their ignorance take over and try to think cheap swipes at the poster will do

I have re read my post and see nothing to indicate I am a bitter and jealous individual,I think that says more about you than me
I would like every business to succeed but I am realist and know they do not, the reason I took so long replying to the first post was because I have seen alot of businesses start up ill prepared and fail. Peoples redundancies and homes disappear, all to often people get themselves in a position were they surround themselves by every one saying, yes great idea, the shop owner, say great, go for it ,as all they want is to rent the property, all suppliers say, yes go for it, great idea, go for it, only wanting to supply shop stock
As it happens about two days before this post my cousin was discussing opening a cloths shop, designer labels ect,again he had not done correct research and was heading down the road of possible failure, not because the idea was wrong or he would not work hard but because he had not done all reasearch required
I know lots of people who have started up businesses and worked hard 20hrs a day, seven days a week and fail.
If you are, who you claim,you want to think yourself lucky you have good people around you and you will know, for you to make it, lots of others have failed
If you are going to open a big chain across London, great.obviously all of my post was not intended for such a siduation, however you never made that clear.
I would add even the start of my post was correct when I described what kind of person made such a posting

Last edited by a moderator:
Opinions are fine but keep it cival please and no verbaly abusing other members.

thank you...

I do not know why it was removed either
But basically it said I was a a##hol#
I was talking c##p,He is the biggest advertiser in central London, and I am probably a 12 week wonder and should stick to replacing tap washers,
I have very broard shoulders
I request any words not allowed be removed and post replaced
I would not have called it a valid response,but a response it was
Below was going to be my reply

Well thank you for your well considered reply 'wipe out’, I suppose you picked your site name, as it fits in with your desire to 'wipe out 'all the opposition and world domination
As usual people who can not pick much fault or argue the post, let their ignorance take over and try to think cheap swipes at the poster will do

I have re read my post and see nothing to indicate I am a bitter and jealous individual,I think that says more about you than me
I would like every business to succeed but I am realist and know they do not, the reason I took so long replying to the first post was because I have seen alot of businesses start up ill prepared and fail. Peoples redundancies and homes disappear, all to often people get themselves in a position were they surround themselves by every one saying, yes great idea, the shop owner, say great, go for it ,as all they want is to rent the property, all suppliers say, yes go for it, great idea, go for it, only wanting to supply shop stock
As it happens about two days before this post my cousin was discussing opening a cloths shop, designer labels ect,again he had not done correct research and was heading down the road of possible failure, not because the idea was wrong or he would not work hard but because he had not done all reasearch required
I know lots of people who have started up businesses and worked hard 20hrs a day, seven days a week and fail.
If you are, who you claim,you want to think yourself lucky you have good people around you and you will know, for you to make it, lots of others have failed
If you are going to open a big chain across London, great.obviously all of my post was not intended for such a siduation, however you never made that clear.
I would add even the start of my post was correct when I described what kind of person made such a posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Soil & waste pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Here are some similar plumbing topics

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock