Search the forum,

Discuss Soil stack and pipe routing advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

ovanbilsen

Hi there,

I'm new here and I must apologise in advance as I am not a plumber but an individual who's about to embark on having their small bathroom redone and I have a question I was hoping I might be able to get your expertise on.

Please see 2 pictures below of my bathroom. The first has the pipework that i currently have behind a man-made box and the 2nd is what my plumber is suggesting...(it would be great to hear your views on his suggestion). My bathroom is on the 1st floor.

Current:

There is a soil stack under my current basin that goes down to the ground floor. As you can see, the toilet waste pipe feeds into this from the left, the bath waste pipe from the right, and there is an intricate zig-zag pipe that goes to my loft for the air.

3757732468_0f83962528.jpg

Suggested:

My aim is to reduce the pipe work and box work so i can (a) put my basin against the wall and (b) create more space in what is a tiny bathroom.

My plumber is suggesting cutting away all the zig-zag pipework that leads to to loft just above the soil stack and replace this with a 1-way valve (see solid red area below) that allows air to enter the pipe (i assume when flushing and when the bath is emptied) but can't let out any (smelly) air into the bathroom.

3756934343_a9b0b989a3.jpg

I have had 4 different plumbers - only 1 has suggested this method. I like the idea of less pipework but the important thing is that it's done right.

Is this a wise thing to go ahead with or should I speak to him again?

-Oliver

PS - if this 1 way valve isn't a good idea, would this setup be any good where the toilet and airing pipe to the loft are integrated more as follows? (allowing for less pipes and more room i guess).

3756980189_7f4d90b51d.jpg

Hi. When viewed as space verses look. I think what you have is as good as it gets. The scheme mentioned will leave you with pipe to box and chase in plus the valve you mention are normally fitted above flood level of sanitary appliances. Which will be difficult to hide. Unless the wall has another room the other side where pipe work can be run, you will have difficulty creating the aesthetics you enjoy at this time. Good Luck

Is it a flat or house
Have you considered lowering boxing to basin height,a counter sunk sink fitted in top of boxing,nice top fitted and concealed w/c cistern
boxing up wall could be greatly reduced in any instance
Also look at slightly wider bath 750mm instead of 700mm,you have room and if shower staying over bath more space and looks good

tbh i think they have made good use of the space but if u have the cash its your choice

Your first choice cannot be done as the air admittance valve has to be above the highest spill over level( it has to recieve ventilation too). The boxing has to stay, but as Puddle says, concealed cistern and vanity/counter sunk wash basin.

The 'one way' valve you discribe... aka a durgo valve, needs to be a certain distance above the outlets in the stack, they usually go above the w.c. If i was doing the job from scratch, id run the soil pipe up in the tight left, with a branch off for the wc, and below that a Boss with 2" to pick up the basin and bath. Is it a solid for, Can't the basin and bath waste be run under the floor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Soil stack and pipe routing advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock