Search the forum,

Discuss Soil pipe replacement cost and advice in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Need some advice about a soil pipe in 1966ish built ex-mod property.

We have suspected but not be able to prove that since some heavy vibration from Pilling for a school across the road was done that our soil pipe has cracked, we are 99% sure it's cast iron from what neighbours have said. Since the Pilling we've been getting sewage smells in our bathroom whenever it's been hot, heavy rain or first thing in the morning from the area around soil pipe, we had the AAV changed in case it was that but still it remains so I've decided to just get the stack replaced rather than trying to keep chasing the problem with small fixes especially as looking inside the wall cavity at the pipe I noticed potential damp patches near the top of the pipe.

Now my uncles company has been doing the work for me so far but he's very busy and has other commitments so I'm looking at a two month wait to get the pipe done, which we can't really wait for with the smell happening more frequently and I don't want or expect him to put off other work already booked in for us so I'm probably going to get a local firm a friend recommended to do it but I've had bad experiences with other companies in the past which is why I rarely use any one I don't know, my uncle quoted £400 to replace the stack and replaster, its behind a box in the kitchen made only of hardboard wall with a skim over the top so access is easy enough but I'm sure I probably get a bit of a discount being family so what should I be expecting cost wise when get a quote from this company with and without replacing the boxing? as I'm pretty good with stud walling and could probably do that bit myself if needed to keep cost down as been on furlough for months and only just be able to get back to full-time work.

Also when I looked at the stack I noticed it was covered in some sort of lagging, none of the neighbours who I spoke to ever mentioned any issues with things like asbestos and it doesn't look like any I've seen online so does anyone know what it is and will it cause issues?

Also as far as we can tell the clay pipe underneath floor to sewer is fine as water company came to clear a blockage further up from us and we had the closest access point in our garden so for the inconvenience as they were there all day the guy doing it did an inspection up as far as the bend below with a camera snake to check for cracks/leaks when we first started having issues.

Pics attached, for reference, first pic is looking down at kitchen floor and second is looking up towards bathroom, above that is a small section of stack with the AAV and the connection with toilet which is the only thing connected as bath and sink connect to kitchen waste water gully. thanks

Attachments

• 20210610_114503.jpg
    20210610_114503.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210610_114456.jpg
    20210610_114456.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Have you considered doing/getting some one to smoke test/pressure test the suspect pipework. Could save a load of ballache.
I thought about it but guessed I'd be looking at close to £100 for testing so thought it best to just replace it all and save time and money in the long run or am I overestimating the usual cost?

I'd wait for your uncle for that price.

Chances are anybody half decent you will have to wait a number of weeks.

Thanks, I was guessing it was a good price but wasn't sure how good 😄

It's looking like it will be September now but it seems everyone in the trades is v busy at the moment so I might just wait it out, makes me think I'm in the wrong industry when I'm looking at the prospect of more furlough 😆

If its a straight forward swap how long should it take roughly just wondering if I should be thinking about stay with my parents or mother-in-law while it's being down if we're not going to have a toilet for a few days?

I thought about it but guessed I'd be looking at close to £100 for testing so thought it best to just replace it all and save time and money in the long run or am I overestimating the usual cost?

Thanks, I was guessing it was a good price but wasn't sure how good 😄

It's looking like it will be September now but it seems everyone in the trades is v busy at the moment so I might just wait it out, makes me think I'm in the wrong industry when I'm looking at the prospect of more furlough 😆

If its a straight forward swap how long should it take roughly just wondering if I should be thinking about stay with my parents or mother-in-law while it's being down if we're not going to have a toilet for a few days?
Should have it done in a day.

If you’re a bit handy, you could smoke it yourself.

Open manhole, find correct branch. Put smoke pellets in branch I typically put them on something heat resistant. Light them up and bung the branch with a bung. You may also need to bung the vent pipe.

Go inside and inspect for traces of smoke.

Reply to Soil pipe replacement cost and advice in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock