Search the forum,

Discuss Soil pipe repair plastic to clay in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there,

Hopefully someone can help. There is a gap from the plastic pipe to the clay pipe as shown on the image. I was not sure how to seal it / what product to use. There isn’t a leak dripping as such but you can see the dirt between the crack and there is a slight smell of drainage. I did not know if I could use some sort of sealant or what would be best?

Thanks

Jason

BC892A42-7C7D-4589-BC5F-1C198FDB041E.jpeg
BC892A42-7C7D-4589-BC5F-1C198FDB041E.jpeg8AF07D4A-431E-4CCC-A28A-0FED4ACF0DE9.jpeg

Oh yeh mate...just clean all the sh** from around the joint, give it a good degrease with fairy liquid and hot water, spray a little adhesive on the joint to make it extra sticky...give it few mins then bang a load of silicone around the joint, let it dry, fill it in and forget about it. If anyone asks say “what soil pipe repair? I don’t even know what a soil pipe is mate”

That’s a soil pipe, posh term for s*it. It appears that the clay pipe has dropped so you could clean everything up but don’t glue wrap loads of oily plumbers bandage around it ..forgot name for a mo. Look up waterproof toilet repair tape, use gloves or bin liner to apply
Centralheatking

Last edited:
Please bear in mind that the solutions above may not hold if you get a blockage at that transition to clay which will cause a build up of pressure unlikely it'll blow off due to the down pressure from the black pipe bossed in vertically but sewage will then leak out. This is not uncommon and particularly where the plastic is shoved in to the clay without a proper fitting. That run looks like it has already had an issue as you can see by the slip coupler already on it

Attachments

• 20200404_223635.jpg
    20200404_223635.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
or perhaps one of these rubber sliding joints, they can be easier to fit to existing systems

Sorry if i wasn't clear. I'm not encouraging the use of a slip I'm pointing out that it looks like there is one there, hence there's probably been an issue in the past. I am encouraging the use of a proper transition into the clay.

Whatever you do, don't break or crack the clay spigot!!!

If you do, you will be chasing the clay to at least the next joint and, from the pics, it doesn't look easy.

What I have done in the passed, is use tile glue.
Clean the joint up as much as possible and fill what you can with the glue.

Reason for tile glue - it sticks to anything and seals.

I’d agree about replacing / redoing the clay below ground drainage but it’s hardly a diy job and in the current climate... lord knows when it would be done :p

I’d agree about replacing / redoing the clay below ground drainage but it’s hardly a diy job and in the current climate... lord knows when it would be done :p
Don’t muck about with the clay just wrap it up I have many years of practical plumbing and drains
Maybe re build the whole lot post corona era not now Centralheatking

Don’t muck about with the clay just wrap it up I have many years of practical plumbing and drains
Maybe re build the whole lot post corona era not now Centralheatking

Thank you very much for that, appreciated.
[automerge]1586248394[/automerge]

[automerge]1586248430[/automerge]
Whatever you do, don't break or crack the clay spigot!!!

If you do, you will be chasing the clay to at least the next joint and, from the pics, it doesn't look easy.

What I have done in the passed, is use tile glue.
Clean the joint up as much as possible and fill what you can with the glue.

Reason for tile glue - it sticks to anything and seals.

[automerge]1586248605[/automerge]
Oh yeh mate...just clean all the sh** from around the joint, give it a good degrease with fairy liquid and hot water, spray a little adhesive on the joint to make it extra sticky...give it few mins then bang a load of silicone around the joint, let it dry, fill it in and forget about it. If anyone asks say “what soil pipe repair? I don’t even know what a soil pipe is mate”

Reply to Soil pipe repair plastic to clay in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock