Search the forum,

Discuss Soil pipe? Leaking help! in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

This pipe is leaking all over the courtyard below and I am concerned its a soil pipe from the flat at the top of the building. I have taken a photo, you can't see it but there is another storey with a sloped roof above. The other is the bottom of the pipe. Thank you
[automerge]1590338816[/automerge]
My friend thinks it overflow, the big house was divided into flats in 1988

Attachments

• Leak.jpg
    Leak.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200516_154328.jpg
    20200516_154328.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Not sure what your question is, but it needs someone to get up there and see where the leak is and fix it.
Sometimes it looks like a leak is coming from one place but when you get to it, it's actually leaking somewhere else and running down a pipe until it hits something thatmakes it visible.
That vent is at an interesting angle, they could sort that out while they're at it ;)

I'll be lucky if the maintenance company who runs the joint does anything about it, they left a burst drain spewing sewage all over the courtyard for a month over Christmas until I rang environmental health, it's a Sod take. I want to know what this pipe is for mainly so I know what is coming out of it, thank you!

Last edited:
Toilet waste and above that the pipe that’s coming off at an angle is the vent for the system

Toilet waste and above that the pipe that’s coming off at an angle is the vent for the system
Hi Shawn, this is much appreciated, not being rude but are you 100 per cent, I just want to be totally sure before I contact them with an ultimatum about work being carried out. I've had enough of this, my shoes being ruined, waste being tramped into my home and endangering both me and my dog. Now I can't leave the house if the pipes dripping as its literally over the entrance.

The pipe at the top is the vent, it should be pointing vertically and should be clipped to the wall to stop it pulling away.
It's difficult to see the angle but it may be water from the top flat is coming out of where you've put the red arrow due to the vent pulling the pipe apart.
Regardless, the vent needs it needs fixing and whoever does it should be able to see where the leak is.
It's clearly leaking at higher level due to the splash on the bin.

I suspect the vent pipe was fitted vertically but as it is all in ring seal it has been able to twist itself into this horizontal position. If this happened in one go the movement could have caused enough force to move the lower joint enough to leak.
However the answer is the same, get a plumber to inspect and clip/replace as necessary. It isn’t a big job and can be carried out entirely from outside so no Covid issues either.

The pipe at the top is the vent, it should be pointing vertically and should be clipped to the wall to stop it pulling away.
It's difficult to see the angle but it may be water from the top flat is coming out of where you've put the red arrow due to the vent pulling the pipe apart.
Regardless, the vent needs it needs fixing and whoever does it should be able to see where the leak is.
It's clearly leaking at higher level due to the splash on the bin.

Hi, but it's definitely a soil pipe? This is the main issue I really need to know. How dangerous the liquid coming out is, as I said both I and my dog are sick, I have a weak immune system anyway, and she's old bless her, and neither of us can leave the flat without being sprayed by it.

The vents been like that since I moved in, and they recently painted the building (utterly pointless when the rest is falling apart) last year, so I know they have seen it and have done nothing. Thank you all in advance!

Hi, but it's definitely a soil pipe? This is the main issue I really need to know. How dangerous the liquid coming out is, as I said both I and my dog are sick, I have a weak immune system anyway, and she's old bless her, and neither of us can leave the flat without being sprayed by it.

The vents been like that since I moved in, and they recently painted the building (utterly pointless when the rest is falling apart) last year, so I know they have seen it and have done nothing. Thank you all in advance!
I see multiple problems here. First, as others adequatly pointed, vent pipe pulling apart joint.
Second- possible blockage at the tee.
Easy to check last one. If waste water drips continuosly, most likely it is blocked at the tee, therefore waste pipe if full and dripping.
Get plumber and ask him to check/fix these

Is there a lavatory in a loft conversion?

That top black tee into the building looks suspiciously at the height for an extractor fan? I’ve seen that done before- I kid you not.

Elamani,

You have every right to be worried about this and that is a combined soil and vent stack. Without seeing what is on the other side of that connection inside the flat, we cannot tell if it connects to a toilet or if someone bodged in an extractor fan to the vent section of the pipe.

The bottom line is that you have a leaking soil pipe dripping water onto and around your property which is totally unacceptable and I feel very bad for you in this situation.

I am certain that if whoever owns the building or the flat needs to get this sorted out ASAP and that it is an environmental health issue and they should be informed if you can get no action from the owners of that leaking connection.

Reply to Soil pipe? Leaking help! in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock