Search the forum,

Discuss Soil pipe in chimney breast in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

We live in a Victorian apartment on 1st floor. Our new upstairs neighbours want to relocate their toilet from the outside wall to an inside wall and run the soil pipe through an unused chimney. Is that wise?

We live in a Victorian apartment on 1st floor. Our new upstairs neighbours want to relocate their toilet from the outside wall to an inside wall and run the soil pipe through an unused chimney. Is that wise?
Seems a strange thing to do. What reason is there for moving the soil pipe. Why can't they utilize the existing one?

The guidance in document H building regulations recommend soil pipes should be accessible for clearance purposes. Don't think the proposed quite meets that!

The guidance in document H building regulations recommend soil pipes should be accessible for clearance purposes. Don't think the proposed quite meets that!
Yes, but does that mean as long as you have access to a rodding point then you are complying or do they literally expect you to have the entire run accessible?

What happens if you or the ground floor owners ( or future owners) which to make use of the chimney?

I would say it’s not wise.
It depends whose chimney it is, surely? If the chimney belongs to the ground floor, then they need to give the upstairs owners the right to use it (or sell the chimney). As the chimney is unused, I am assuming that means it is blocked off, not just whoever owns it decided to not to buy coal this year (which may mean they have lost the easement that allows them to use the chimney anyway). Ignoring that, unblocking it to bring it into use would probably involve lining it to bring it to current standards, and it's still not certain that a new heat producing appliance could legally be installed to the chimney as we don't know the full circumstances.

I agree there are things that need to be carefully considered, but I don't agree that finding a new use for an otherwise redundant chimney is a bad one in principle. At least the brick should have excellent sound absorbing properties.

I was alluding to my opinion that they should not proceed with gay abandon (whoever he is).

In the future a new owner of a lower flat could quite reasonably expect to reinstate the chimney and would certainly not expect a soil pipe to be drilled through it.

Presumably these are leasehold flats? This work could not be carried out without freeholder permission- which I imagine would not be granted.

There is surely another route available...

I was alluding to my opinion that they should not proceed with gay abandon (whoever he is).

In the future a new owner of a lower flat could quite reasonably expect to reinstate the chimney and would certainly not expect a soil pipe to be drilled through it.

Presumably these are leasehold flats? This work could not be carried out without freeholder permission- which I imagine would not be granted.

There is surely another route available...
It is a shared freehold of which I belong. I am mainly trying to ascertain if practically it is possible and allowed. Restricted access in case of maintenance or emergencies seems like the strongest reason not to, as per building regs.
But if they had to connect the soil pipe to the existing one, then there wouldn’t be enough of a drop, right?

Reply to Soil pipe in chimney breast in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock