Search the forum,

Discuss Soil pipe gas leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

onjayuk

Hi, Please could someone advise me!

Problem
- Ground floor bathroom intermittent sewage smell when soil pipe is in heavy use and in winter only

What i've tried
- Had smoke bomb test and drains checked no problems
- Changed air admittance valves

Then took out boxing and waited for the smell

leak.jpg

Then finally smell started coming out of this joint which is the toilet waste going into the soil boss pipe.

Can anyone tell me by looking at this how I can test for gas leak? and to repair this or will I have to replace the whole lot? If it's welded will I need to changed the whole boss section?

2 years of search and I think I have it!

Cheers

if you can get to the horizontal section you could take the pipe out and get a new seal that fits inside the branch otherwise cut the horizontal and fit a slip socket if you cant get another o ring a new junction is req make sure you chamfer the pipes and plenty of grease

leak1.jpg

Thanks for the reply, if the pipe is welded though will that mean I would have to cut at the branch? There is no water leak visible, Is gap cement filler an option?

Last edited by a moderator:
looks pushfit to me for sure might have solvent waste fittings connected to it but that joint looks push fit

looks pushfit to me for sure might have solvent waste fittings connected to it but that joint looks push fit

makes sense now, when the soil pipe is under heavy load it pulls air from the poorly sealed rubber at the joint and then within a few mins the rubber falls back into place. I'll blast some gas leak detector on it to see if anything happens.

Cheers

doubt very much it will show with leak detector you will get the smells coming in due to pressure differences within the drains and house are you sure its from that joint sometimes its from the drain connector at the bottom of the stack and filtering up the pipebox

Leak spray will only work if you pressurise the drain (test it)

Take the toilet out, pull the pipe out of its fitting, replace the rubber seal and clip with the same make (make will be on the fitting) put it back together again (lube the joint) job done in under an hour.

And make sure the pipe is chamfered before you push it back in. It may not have been in the first place and could be what caused this.

do as tamz has suggested. use a good thick amount of grease to lube the joint and it will be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Soil pipe gas leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

First of all, apologies, it seems this topic has been posted but don't believe my specific issue is covered. So been living in my Victorian house for almost 10 years, no issues. Have 2 bathrooms, 2 loos that all go to a large underground soakaway, I believe. I can only see one soil vent pipe...
Replies
Views
About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the issue. When I first made contacted enviromental health I was told the following Could be my drains and to have my drains checked. Could be the sewers...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
G
Morning everyone. Got an issue with an internal soil stack boss strap failure. The boss strap had been sealed originally with silicon which has failed and caused a leak. The soil stack is accessible but it’s tight working area. Do I seal the boss strap with OB1, cross my fingers and hope it...
Replies
Views
Our boiler is in the loft and I encountered a leak in a roof above our side extension store room which has transpired to be from the boiler condensate pipe. It was cracked at an elbow so the plumber we use has replaced this and hopefully all will be well with that joint. This later prompted me...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock