Search the forum,

Discuss Soft plastic in water supply in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Ok here's a weird one i'm having with my water supply. Over a year ago I started developing alot of white dusty flakes on my washing that, when washed and dried (hang/radiator/tumble) would fly off in their masses and coat my room in dust. I have to dust 2-3 times a week or the furniture is covered. This all came slightly out of the blue, and seemed quite random. About a year prior to that, I had renovated my bathroom and had pipework re-done, but nothing that was immediately apparent to water quality change.

I took the problem head on recently and approached my water supplier (SES water) with the complaints. A nice gentleman came round and had a look, left me with a bottle to capture samples in should the problem not go away - his explanation was that there could be debris in the mains pipes that just needs flushing out over a couple days/weeks.

The problem didn't go away and I captured a sample and sent it to SES water who analysed it in their lab and came back with..

"After filtration, minute fragments of soft plastic similar to clingfilm were observed.
Clingfilm type products are not found in drinking water supplies. This, combined with the fact that SES water have not received any reports from neighbouring properties regarding the same issue may suggest that the source of the particles is within the property itself."

They've suggested checking pipework for tape used on fittings or valves - or straight up replacing check valves. But where the hell does clingfilm type particles enter my water? I'm on the first floor (maisonette) and my shower is the first thing off the mains pipe. The particles are visible in water samples taken from there, too. So how can it not be coming in from the mains? Can water get backwashed from something? Did I wash some plastic in my washing machine and it's forever floating around my pipes leaking into the drinking water for the past year? Mildly concerned that i'm swallowing plastic everyday...

Link to some water in a glass bowl held up to my light for the curious (shows quite a lot of these plastic flakes): View: https://youtu.be/zWFr7exupp4

I would think it almost impossible for domestic washing machine waste water to get into the mains water supply...washing machines are specifically designed to prevent back siphonage and the sheer imbalance of mains pressure at 3....4 bar plus and grey water discharge further makes it near impossible. In the short term install a good drinking water filter supplying a 3 tap in kitchen. I would install a non return valve where the mains supply enters your property...category 3. Then start being quite forensic sampling water from all take offs in the property if it persists. Do you own the freehold if not it is down to landlord or freeholder to supply you with ‘wholesome water’. Centralheatking

The only way to be 100% where the flakes are coming from is to disconnect your pipework at the stoptap and test the incoming water before it gets into your supply , you may need a plumber.

Are there any braided rubber flexible hoses present in your property. Another approach is to go round yourself and ask your neighbours about their water supply. Utilities are very much closed shops and get very uncomfortable when the water they supply is challenged, there are many examples where initially the utility denied or mis diagnosed problems..and gave out incorrect advice eg.Camelford..Sw Water, The crypto incident with United Utilities. Centralheatking

Last edited:
If your washing machine is wras approved it will have back flow protection, probably an air gap. If not the water supply should have a double check valve. the hose again ideally should be wras approved and if not have a check valve in the washing machine tap to stop it tainting the water supply.

contact your local water authority and ask them to test your water, if somebody local is contaminating the supply the will if needed take them to court.

If you don't think the water undertaker (supplier) is playing fair, you can try the drinking water inspectorate.

But make sure the source of contamination is not on your side of the meter first!

You say that the company say no one else has complained but what did the neighbours say when you spoke to them??
I'd also check it's not getting on to your glassware from your own dishwasher e.g. a bit of plastic film wrapper off a tablet knocking about inside the d/w

Last edited:

Reply to Soft plastic in water supply in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock