Search the forum,

Discuss So everybody is observing the confinement rules in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

centralheatking

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Just out of curiosity I looked up Flightradar 24 which shows all the real-time fights all around the globe. We have been deceived there are 10,000 flights in the air right now. What a shock ...Centralheatking
478297D0-3073-46B9-99DB-D685CC89DDF5.png
478297D0-3073-46B9-99DB-D685CC89DDF5.png
32943EF4-E484-4553-ACA1-4F2EFCC4521D.png

Last edited:
Reactions: WC1
Unfortunately messages from government have been weak and a lot of downright false information has been spread from unreliable sources.
I have had a lot of customers (and friends) telling me that it's ok to have a non - essential visit because they feel ok and I feel ok so there's no danger. This appears not to be the case.
According to this article in New Scientist (apparently a real scientific journal) I was sent by my daughter (she's much smarter than me) it could be 10% of people with the virus show no symptoms but can spread the virus to (and potentially kill) their friend and family (and customers!) "asymptomatic spread" by non - essential visits.

"....Even though these people were only 55 per cent as contagious as people with symptoms, the study found that they were the source of 79 per cent of further infections, due to there being more of them, and the higher likelihood that they were out and about...."

You could be spreading the coronavirus without realising you’ve got it - https://www.newscientist.com/article/2238473-you-could-be-spreading-the-coronavirus-without-realising-youve-got-it/#ixzz6HzzsLyCL

I have had a lot of customers (and friends) telling me that it's ok to have a non - essential visit because they feel ok and I feel ok so there's no danger. This appears not to be the case.
There's definitely a small proportion of the population that are approaching the rules as some sort of game and are trying to find loop-holes so they can claim the rules don't apply to them.

This reminds me of people's reaction to the drink-drive laws when they came in, many years ago. (Some people even claimed that alcohol made them a better driver!) More recently, it's been using mobile phones while driving.

I think it's just human nature.

I think it's partly that "it won't happen to me" attitude as well as the Govt not talking about this problem.
I found out because I I have a friend who is a baker, he baked some bread and offered it to me so I popped round a at the weekend and picked it up, I felt ok, he felt ok so what's the harm.
My daughter (rightly) absolutely tore into me and made me read the article when she found out (she's just finished at uni) ... I won't be doing that again:(:(:(

Also we genuinely have the slightly mentally lacking people in society who won’t agree to or fail to understand the rules and risk.
I have one customer who insists he cannot follow the social distancing rules and is going out to chemist and shops and to get pension and other benefits at his usual weekly routines. He insists he has to have a chat with people. :oops:
Also has some visitors to his home and expects me to call to do a minor wee job and sit and have a cup of tea there. Naturally I am staying clear.
We all need to take a firm stance with people like this.

I have been doing a few jobs by "remote control" - talking the customer through it, topped up a few ch systems replaced washers on a bar mixer and unblocked a sink. Refused payment each time. Customers were extremely grateful.

Unfortunately messages from government have been weak and a lot of downright false information has been spread from unreliable sources.
According to this article in New Scientist (apparently a real scientific journal) I was sent by my daughter (she's much smarter than me) it could be 10% of people with the virus show no symptoms but can spread the virus to (and potentially kill) their friend and family (and customers!) "asymptomatic spread" by non - essential visits.

"..Even though these people were only 55 per cent as contagious as people with symptoms, the study found that they were the source of 79 per cent of further infections, due to there being more of them, and the higher likelihood that they were out and about.."

You could be spreading the coronavirus without realising you’ve got it - https://www.newscientist.com/article/2238473-you-could-be-spreading-the-coronavirus-without-realising-youve-got-it/#ixzz6HzzsLyCL
Must be fake news that.
there hasn’t been the time to do much scientific research.

Must be fake news that.
there hasn’t been the time to do much scientific research.

- Take that up with New Scientist, they're a proper scientific publication, as I said in my post there has been a lot of fake news and I would not have shared it without considering it carefully. Also, please quote the sources for your statement.

Re The planes, if you go on the live view a good few of the yellows are cargo, DHL Cargolux, Fedex etc.
And there's small jets and also lots of helicopters around the North Sea

I have been doing a few jobs by "remote control" - talking the customer through it, topped up a few ch systems replaced washers on a bar mixer and unblocked a sink. Refused payment each time. Customers were extremely grateful.

There should be a distinction made here - your visit to the baker is strictly against the govt guidelines, whilst unblocking a sink isn't. Facetime the baker then off to work and get those bills paid.

Also speaking of danger.. 0.03% of UK pop confirmed with corona you have around 0.5% fatality rate for non elderly. Quick maths and you need to see 2 millions customers before you die from corona. This is assuming transmition rate of 100%

Reply to So everybody is observing the confinement rules in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a Vaillant ecofit pure, we had it installed about 6 years ago so it's not an old boiler, a new pump was also fitted at the same time. Anyway, I have the hot water set to come on the morning but the last couple of days I've noticed after around 10mins it's cuts out, then after s couple of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to you? I suspect that my long ongoing rotting veg/sewage smell is caused by a fault in this connection that has been hidden from previous inspections...
Replies
Views
I am generally a decent handyman, can usually make 2+2=4 and take care of most things to avoid troubling experts with just the basics, but know also not to bumble around blindly beyond that. We moved house last week and with the glorious hot weather we weren't bothered about the heating, more...
Replies
Views
    • Informative
Why am I not surprised? Britain’s gas network still using engines from 1960s RAF fighter jets Ageing aircraft turbines will cost millions to replace, says National Gas chief Jonathan Leake14 January 2024 • 5:49pm Mr Butterworth, chief executive of National Gas, says the network is powered by...
Replies
Views
It was fitted with the boiler a Potterton Suprima 30L about 21 years ago. Two PCB's later and a new fan the boiler is working perfectly. However, the programmer display is not showing any digits for the clock or anything else so I am unable to program it. It still works the boiler manually...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock