Search the forum,

Discuss Snapped stop tap owes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jmsuch

Hope someone can help.

I recently changed some taps and closed the stop taps under the sink. On completion I have turned the tap back on and it would apprear that one has sheared in the closed position. I know this because the handle is turning and my diswhaser is not receiving any water (so it is not the new tap)

Can I replace the centre of the stop tap without replacing the entire unit or are there any magic solutions.

Many thanks

I would say no as when you take the spindle out it will have snapped at the base and there would be no way to pull it out. Even If you could you would need to water off because water would shoot at you for there. You need to isolate the water and replace. Have you got an outside stop tap?

Agree, even if you can get the spindle out by the time you've messed about it's much easier to change the entire stopcock for the sake of £6 or so. If it's a compression one provided the nut threads are the same, just undo the compressions, remove the stopcock and stick a new one in its place. Takes about 5 mins provided you can get at it OK.

The threads in stop taps have changed over the years so a new mechanism may not fit the old tap. When the handle turns it is usually the handle that has stripped. Sometimes the pipework is all iron and it is worth fitting a new washer in a stop tap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Snapped stop tap owes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock