Search the forum,

Discuss Smelly toilet - help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mrdavy36

I have a new WC close couple toilet, but seem to be getting a nasty smell from it, i have replaced the pan connector and made sure that the seal is good both at the back of the toilet and into the soil stack, the water level in the toilet is good so no air is escaping.

Sink & bath seem to be ok olny the toilet is smelling, i have access to the soil stack as I live in a bungalow so i can unscrew the lid and have visually inspected it - looks ok smells but thats what i wouold expect.

I have lifted the man hole cover and cleaned it all out, checked that when the toilet is flushed it is been drained away.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Glenn

Is it a sort of stale urine smell and if so, has it a wooden seat?

If both above, urine gets into the wood through the varnish (no, I don't know how either but it just does!) and only sensible option is to replace the seat for a plastic or perspex type - or another wooden one to replace again the next time.

Thanks for the info, no its a plastic seat and the smell is not urine, but soil pipe / musty smell

Just a thought - how was the old overflow pipe run. Did it go straight through an external wall, or was it run to a waste/soil pipe. If the latter make sure this is properly sealed off.

Thanks for the reply, not it was a external overflow going out of the external wall, all sealed up now.

How about the water in the pan, if its low then you will get smells coming through.

you could have something lodged in the pipe causing it to soak up the water and lose it seal.

It has happened to me before but we dont need to talk about that!!

Thanks, appreciate your response, I put a new pan connector on at the w/e and the chap in the plumbers merchant advised that it may be the branch seal that has gone, so I have sealed that up with sanitary ware silicone to see if it stops the smell. It appears to be better but not 100%.

What happens if i have low water in the pan, just add some more?

If low water in pan, adding more will stop smells coming up from drains.

If you have to do this constantly then pan is either not level or poor manufacture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Smelly toilet - help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock