• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today!

Discuss Smelly shower trap in the DIY Bathroom Remodelling Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Bettyboo

Reaction score
Hi All
My shower tray and plumbing was installed 5 years ago and has been fine up until last summer when it started to smell. We have been careful to clean trap parts weekly to remove hair etc but last summer when it was not being used quite so much it started to give off a stale kinda dirty water smell.

I had a go at getting rid of the odour with half a cup of vinegar and half a cup of bicarb of soda mixture but the mixture sat in the shower well with some of it draining through the pipe drain. I am not sure whether this method was appropriate to get to where the problem is. Please see pics

Anyway it still smells, any answers please?

Thanks alot

Betty

IMG_6991.jpg

IMG_6992.jpg

bogrodder

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
It’s sits on the little lugs attached to the outer ring and creates the trap. At the moment, horrible gasses can enter the bathroom

OP
Bettyboo

Bettyboo

Reaction score
Sorry please see other parts to trap . Second one shows water level.

I just usually insert parts thinking nothing of it, first basket then central bit and then chrome cap. Not sure if there is special requirement on how tightly they must be fitted/connected and the water level etc

Betty

IMG_6993.jpg

IMG_6994.jpg

IMG_6995.jpg

IMG_6996.jpg

Ted808

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Check the water level in the trap after using something nearby , it might be that another drain could be 'sucking' the trap dry and then the smell can escape.

CBW1982

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
It could also be getting siphoned out if anything material wise caught, but unlikely given the pics. You may also have a build up of soap scum in the waste pipe, does it drain slow?

Craig Watson

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Can't remember off the top of my head but is there a rubber o-ring on this part?

20190525_173600.jpg

OP
Bettyboo

Bettyboo

Reaction score
We have been making sure the trap stays topped up with water and the smell has gone. Hooray! or for a while anyway.I think Ted and WC1 were right, welldone.
It drains ok and there is no rubber o ring
Thanks very much for solving a smelly problem xx

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Plumb Advice

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers - Plumbers Advice

Power Shower Booster for Power Showers - Plumbing Advice

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat - Plumbing Advice

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies - Plumbers Installation Advice

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Advice for Plumbers

Do you have a DAB radio for work?

• Yes