Search the forum,

Discuss Smelled gas, called cadent, gas leak detected, do i need to replace the whole pipe? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Noted, thanks! - Even if what i smelled turned out to come from another flat, i understand i still have to fix my pipe because it has a drop and i reported the smell of gas, so the cap can't be removed until the leak on my pipe is fixed right?
YES, it needs fixing, that's gas you're paying for and getting no benefit from and could possibly be a hazard to yourself and others.

The reason for the pressure drop in your pipework needs to be identified and fixed, whether it be the pipe leaking or a joint leaking.
If the pipe was going to be replaced then whoever does that would have to expose the route the existing pipe runs to install the new pipe, so it would make sense, once it's confirmed beyond doubt that the pipe between the meter and flat is the problem, to expose the existing and trace the exact location of the leak.
There may be a joint that can remade, it may be a problem with lack of support for the pipe and had failed in some way which may also be an issue with the other flats.

What I wouldn't want as a customer is for someone to say it's quite likely to be the pipe, as opposed to saying the leak is at a specific location and pay for replacement only to find it wasn't needed.

As to whether the Freeholder has liability, that depends on the wording of the lease.
However it's quite likely you'll need the permission of the freeholder to have work done in the common area and the other flat owners need to be made aware of the issue in case it affects them or incase they have any knowledge of similar issues with their gas supply.

YES, it needs fixing, that's gas you're paying for and getting no benefit from and could possibly be a hazard to yourself and others.

The reason for the pressure drop in your pipework needs to be identified and fixed, whether it be the pipe leaking or a joint leaking.
If the pipe was going to be replaced then whoever does that would have to expose the route the existing pipe runs to install the new pipe, so it would make sense, once it's confirmed beyond doubt that the pipe between the meter and flat is the problem, to expose the existing and trace the exact location of the leak.
There may be a joint that can remade, it may be a problem with lack of support for the pipe and had failed in some way which may also be an issue with the other flats.

What I wouldn't want as a customer is for someone to say it's quite likely to be the pipe, as opposed to saying the leak is at a specific location and pay for replacement only to find it wasn't needed.

As to whether the Freeholder has liability, that depends on the wording of the lease.
However it's quite likely you'll need the permission of the freeholder to have work done in the common area and the other flat owners need to be made aware of the issue in case it affects them or incase they have any knowledge of similar issues with their gas supply.
Well, this is going to be fun. Thanks a lot for the help everyone. Cheers!

As mentioned above I would try and get an experienced gas engineer who is happy to spend a bit of time testing each section of pipe. While not impossible it is unlikely leak is on the Tracpipe section if it is one long run. I would concentrate on meter connections, boiler connection and any valves in the pipework( especially in the apartment if that is where the smell first appeared). For a good engineer it won't take long to determine exactly which section is at fault.
Why not post your location and see if any of the lads here are able to help?

As mentioned above I would try and get an experienced gas engineer who is happy to spend a bit of time testing each section of pipe. While not impossible it is unlikely leak is on the Tracpipe section if it is one long run. I would concentrate on meter connections, boiler connection and any valves in the pipework( especially in the apartment if that is where the smell first appeared). For a good engineer it won't take long to determine exactly which section is at fault.

Hi, sure, i’m in N226AF. Anyone?

Hi, yea absolutely, i’m at N226AF. Anyone?

If the meter has been capped and retested to zero drop then that can be completely ruled out. Same of boiler has been isolated.

Hi Everyone,

So, i ended up calling up another gas engineer in my local area who was able to come immediately, he uncapped the meter and looked for leaks within my flat (all joints and the boiler itself) he also looked for leaks in the meter and couldn't find any. He ran the pressure test again and said that he deemed my gas installation safe and since the drop is well within what's allowed/legal he was completely happy to leave the gas on.

We have not smelled gas since, so for all i know that smell of gas was either coming from somewhere else or we might have imagined it.

Happy ending i guess.

Thanks guys for all the advice!

Cheers!

Thanks for the update.

Did the engineer workout where the pipe runs up from the meter and or check where the pipe(s) to other flat(s) runs?

He’s brave leaving it on with a drop and a reported smell of gas.

Reply to Smelled gas, called cadent, gas leak detected, do i need to replace the whole pipe? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock