Search the forum,

Discuss Smell from new kitchen sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jonwade

Hi

Had a new kitchen fitted. Sink is a Lamona and all fittings are Lamona (came with sink). The waste goes straight out the wall and straight down to a new drain. The pipe goes into the drain, there is a mesh thing over it. A picture on the album shows it without the waste pipe.

No smell outside, so sure it is coming from the sink. Noticed it this morning and late one evening. So after the sink has not been used for a while.

We will be attaching a dishwasher soon (it was attached but new floor being put in). I put the cap back on the dishwasher bit.

The U bend is deep, so I cannot see how this is getting emptied. But also cannot see how else a smell from the drain can get up the sink.

Anything look amiss?

Photos (in reverse oder!):
Drainage pipe to main drain
Drain under window / sink outside
Route across drive to main drain
Some photos of the pavement that are totally useless I think!
Under the sink - showing dishwasher drain on the left. Flexi pipe is for the overflow in the middle/mini sink
U bend and drain going out of wall.

https://plus.google.com/photos/112594150264603349403/albums/5936099733789113425

Last edited by a moderator:
take the u bend off and clean out, a piece of hair or string or the like may be causing siphonic action by allowing the water to travel up the cord there by draining the trap.

OK. Is that really possible though? It has only been in since the 26th Sept.

I will take a look ....

yes anthing washed down the sink like a hair or a bit of cotton string that the butcher uses to hold your sunday beef together before you roast it can and do get washed down the hole and cause such issues, its the most simple thing to check!

Fit 2 traps then tee them in. Will cure it. There too much Pipe for waste to cling to.

IMO your problem will lie in the little overflow pipe.
It seems to be hanging down about half an inch from level and it will be trapping all kinds of stuff

It will stink like poo or sick (believe me and take a careful whiff)

Remove it and clean it out with an old tooth brush, wear disposable rubber glove

Have cleaned many of these now and charge (my local customers who are squeamish) £10-15 a time for getting rid of smells, cant think it will be anything else

Then you need to cut the pipe down so it doesn't sit lower than level and being on a slight slope down would be a great help to prevent it gunging up again

Oh and the crinkly tube (my technical term lol) it is made of does a great job of trapping the debris as well.....(crap design IMO)

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Smell from new kitchen sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock