Search the forum,

Discuss Smell from Macerator after flushing in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

UK
Hi everyone

Around two months ago I got my old macerator replaced with a new Grundfos Sololift 2 WC-3 macerator. Its been working great without any problems except in the last two weeks every time I flush the toilet, the macerator emits a foul smell when the machine is operating. The unit sounds fine without any weird noises so I can't seem to know why this is happening.

Do you guys think this is normal ? If not is there a solution to stop the smell ?

Thank you.

Have a check around the unit, some have an air vent (I think). Manual points to a carbon filter being contaminated? @rpm will probably know better.

Have a check around the unit, some have an air vent (I think). Manual points to a carbon filter being contaminated? @rpm will probably know better.
Yeah checked around can't seem to find any air vents. Very odd I just tested it and it doesn't give off any smell when running the tap water from the basin and only from flushing the toilet water.

Air vent is on top of lid around 30 x 50mm (I think, haven`t seen one for awhile tbh) and the charcoal filter should be there underneath (check it`s there). Then I would check the rubber connector between pump and pan for any signs of leakage at either end.

Air vent is on top of lid around 30 x 50mm (I think, haven`t seen one for awhile tbh) and the charcoal filter should be there underneath (check it`s there). Then I would check the rubber connector between pump and pan for any signs of leakage at either end.
Hello mate I check everything and its fine, can't see any leaks or anything but the smell does seem to be coming out from the air vent where the charcoal filter is located. I have attached some pictures of the set up and let me know if you see anything wrong. This was installed by a local plumber

Attachments

• IMG_2107.JPEG
    IMG_2107.JPEG
    83.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2108.JPEG
    IMG_2108.JPEG
    67.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2109.JPEG
    IMG_2109.JPEG
    84 KB · Views: 13
Hi, Because the discharge pipe is up> along> then down it is possible that the water trap in the pump is being sucked dry hence the smell. Can only suggest the following when the smell gets bad - Turn power off and pour cleaner and hot water down the pan until the water level in the pan is slightly higher than normal and leave for around an hour before switching the power on.

Did notice that just under the discharge elbow there is a rubber coupler and two metal jubilee clips are missing, these need fitting before the elbow blows out causing a mess. Also I am pretty sure the rubber pan connector should be secured both ends and I can`t quite see enough in the photo to see. Lastly I see PTFE tape has been used where it shouldn`t on the isolation valve but that is neither here nor there so don`t be concerned about it. It just tells me what sort of guy did it.

For cleaner you can buy special macerator cleaner online or supermarket disinfectant but don`t use bleach, well only to clean around the pan as normal.

Hi, Because the discharge pipe is up> along> then down it is possible that the water trap in the pump is being sucked dry hence the smell. Can only suggest the following when the smell gets bad - Turn power off and pour cleaner and hot water down the pan until the water level in the pan is slightly higher than normal and leave for around an hour before switching the power on.

Did notice that just under the discharge elbow there is a rubber coupler and two metal jubilee clips are missing, these need fitting before the elbow blows out causing a mess. Also I am pretty sure the rubber pan connector should be secured both ends and I can`t quite see enough in the photo to see. Lastly I see PTFE tape has been used where it shouldn`t on the isolation valve but that is neither here nor there so don`t be concerned about it. It just tells me what sort of guy did it.

For cleaner you can buy special macerator cleaner online or supermarket disinfectant but don`t use bleach, well only to clean around the pan as normal.
I already used the Pro-Kleen macerator cleaner over the weekend. Poured two litres in the toilet and left it for a couple of hours and still no luck. Also can you tell where the pan is or how i can access it? Unless you're referring to the toilet bowl... thanks again for your responses mate

Yep, pan is toilet bowl and try the disinfectant with hot water this time and don`t forget to switch it off or the cleaner will go in and straight out in a matter of seconds.

Hey hsadat, did you solve the problem? I have the same issue with the same pump..please let me know
Hi yes I did. Not sure how your set up is looking but I have my shower discharge pipe connected to the macerator. The cause for the smell was the build up of my wife’s hair in the shower sink hole which I removed. I then used hot water and disinfectant and left it there for a few hours to drain the system. Now I have a fitted a shower drain catcher in the sink hole and since then I haven’t had problems with any bad odour. Hope this helps

Reply to Smell from Macerator after flushing in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock