• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

Discuss Smart thermostat connection in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Robert Greenwood

Hi all
My combi boiler currently has a wireless thermostat could i just buy a smart thermostat to connect to my existing receiver or do i need a new receiver to work with a smart thermostat

ChrisB1982

Plumber
Gas Engineer
Solutions
That can depend on the brand, if your existing is say Honeywell and your new one you wanted is Hive then new receiver required.

Robert Greenwood

No not any, but check the existing receiver with the new it might be compatible. A lot of Honeywell used the bdr91 receiver
Thx again i honeywell smart thermostat seem quite expensive compared to others is it relatively easy to replace the receiver too mine is located just above my boiler thx again

ChrisB1982

Plumber
Gas Engineer
Solutions
Thx again i honeywell smart thermostat seem quite expensive compared to others is it relatively easy to replace the receiver too mine is located just above my boiler thx again
Yes it’s relatively easy. If you’re completely unsure post photos of wiring. Just make sure you get one that supports the switching, not all are voltage free, some are mains only and if yours is extra low then it’ll be no good - switching comes from the boiler.

Reply to Smart thermostat connection in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net