Search the forum,

Discuss Smart meter installed correctly? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

An OVO fitter installed a gas meter and said we would smell gas for 24-48 hours. I took a look in the meter box and saw a load of putty and sealant around pipe that goes into the property. Just wondered if this looks like it's been done correctly? Or if we should get it looked at.20191121_165857.jpg20191121_165850.jpg

I think you know the answer meter installers are only qualified to swap the meter you can see why 5 minutes would sort the mess out think he got a bit carried away with the putty . Kop

I think you know the answer meter installers are only qualified to swap the meter you can see why 5 minutes would sort the mess out think he got a bit carried away with the putty . Kop

Thanks for taking a look. It looks like a mess to me. Couldn't tell if he was just trying to fill the hole he'd drilled in the wall or if he was bodging a bad fitting with putty. You think it's worth getting someone local to have a quick look?

Just needed tidying up the maintenance of the meter box is your responsibility believe it or not that's no excuse for shoddy work though . Kop

If you can smell gas you should call a gas safe registered person the national grid emergency number.

To confirm, a non-setting putty is fairly typical for air sealing the hole around the gas pipe. The OP might not know that.

If you can smell gas you should call a gas safe registered person the national grid emergency number.
As Scott has said If you can smell gas then call the gas emergency number on the gas meter cadent will attend and test for any leakage .

Not the tidiest job but nothing to worry about. The old mastic has melted due to heat (Let me guess the meter box is in direct sunlight?). The bonding clip makes it a pain in the arse to be fair. The meter fitter has to seal any holes , he/she doesn't have to spend half an hour cutting away the old stuff, it is your outlet pipe after all.

Reply to Smart meter installed correctly? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock