From the United States of America? - Checkout our specific plumbing forum for you:USA Plumbing Forum

Discuss Small leak at join of overflow pipe with bath in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Camber1

Hello. When water goes down plastic overflow pipe of my bath, a few droplets of water leaks out just where the overflow pipe joins with the bath (at the underside of this join). As it is just a few droplets, would just rubbing some Plumber's mait around this join do the trick without me undoing the pipe and sealing it more robustly?
Sorry if this sounds simple, I really have no clue about plumbing. Thanks in advance.

turnpin

turnpin

Plumber
Hello Camber1 and welcome to the forums pop along to your merchants and get a tube of LSX check the pipe is clean and dry and is firmly pushed onto waste spigot apply LSX and leave to set as per instructions good luck regards turnpin

W

WaterTight

Plumber
It might work but it's a simple fix to do it properly.

They come with a washer that usually does the trick but many plumbers add some sealant (sanitary silicone) as a belt and braces approach when installing. The washer may be twisted or torn or misaligned, the overflow arrangement may not be done up tightly enough or off-centre leaving a small gap.

Best thing you could is to undo (usually can be undone by hand but may need a little encouragment from a pair of grips or if you don't have any tools a screwdriver or pencil stuck between the holes of the overflow for leverage when twisting anti-clockwise to unscrew will do it but be careful not to damage it) and clean it up and inspect the components.

If the washer seems reasonable then apply a thin bead of silicone sealant round it on the face that will connect to the bath, reassemble making sure it's central on the hole and tighten hand-tight followed by a 1/4 turn tweak with grips or whatever you have to hand. Then to be extra sure (and it doesn't matter what it looks like as it's under the bath) run a bead round the outside of where the washer connects to bath. Lick your finger and run it over the silicone, pressing it into the surface.

Leave it a few hours and test.

If it still leaks and you've followed the above instructions you either have a distorted washer/overflow arrangement or too big a overflow hole in your bath.

OP
H

Hybrid

I wind a few turns of ptfe around the o-ring before pushing the overflow pipe on. Makes a tight joint, never leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Small leak at join of overflow pipe with bath in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net. Plumbing questions, answers, tips and tricks.

Most Viewed Threads