• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

Discuss Slim niche in shower just to get the LED lighting effect? See pic. in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

dave100

Hello,

I like the lighting effect from those full-width shower wall niche/recesses. Like the one shown here:

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

In my shower wall I don't have the option of a deep recess, not even enough to hold a bottle of shampoo. However, I was wondering if I could put in a one inch to one and a half recess just to get the LED lighting effect shown above.

I am building a new wetroom which will have a ceiling-mounted rainfall showerhead. I am concerned about tanking / waterproofing. Would I be increasing the risk of leaks by adding something like this, or would I get away with it as long as proper tanking and tiling was done.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Solutions
It’s more down to the tile you choose eg if like in picture your tiler may kill you :D

dave100

It’s more down to the tile you choose eg if like in picture your tiler may kill you :D
No, I'd be keeping it a lot simpler than that! :) I have 450mm square grey tile for the bathroom and this recess would have a timber effect rectangular tile, the recess would be one tile tall (about 8 inches) and maybe 8 tiles in length.

So you think it might be doable without introducing leak risk?

Come to think of it, I would put a good outward slope, maybe 15 degrees, as I wouldn't be using it as a shelf. That would help to keep the water flowing back into the shower tray.

matthewBaker

In fact, you do not have to worry, now are LED lights are very sophisticated waterproof protection, even in the pool can be used safely, but need to choose reliable quality equipment when buying LED lights.

Reply to Slim niche in shower just to get the LED lighting effect? See pic. in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net