Search the forum,

Discuss Slightly moving waste pipe connection into soil pipe in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Parents have had a steel beam put into their hallway ceiling to adequately support landing and stairs.
This means that the waste from a sink and shower will need to be reinstated slightly lower into the soil pipe, as the pipes will now run under rather than through the beams (the joists will be cross battened for slightly lowered ceiling).
The current waste connection into the soil pipe is a massive old bodge so it needed redoing anyway, but the proximity to the old hole in that pipe is likely to be problematic... I’ll try to attach pictures.
Any thoughts and advice please?

Attachments

• 846360DB-396F-4259-A4F0-B980DEEC6B66.jpeg
    846360DB-396F-4259-A4F0-B980DEEC6B66.jpeg
    407 KB · Views: 40
  • F4161F11-DF48-4A2C-9156-053E8DDAB5C4.jpeg
    F4161F11-DF48-4A2C-9156-053E8DDAB5C4.jpeg
    626 KB · Views: 37
  • 6E5C520C-A003-4F6C-866B-7EFEF2143014.jpeg
    6E5C520C-A003-4F6C-866B-7EFEF2143014.jpeg
    323.5 KB · Views: 35
The solution is going to be to cut out that section of soil pipe from the connector above just under the floor, insert a short new piece and start from there.
There may be enough room to get a short boss section in to save cutting the hole and fitting a strapon boss.

Thanks... assuming that the boss has a stop in it, IE not a slip coupling, I’m not sure how I’ll be able to get it in to the stack...
I don’t have any leeway for moving the pipe above upwards.

Just wondering if it would be feasible to cut a collar from another piece of soil pipe with one side slotted so that it can be sprung around the pipe, and solvent welded in place?

I think there's enough room to cut stack at top of hole, remove and clean up remnants of existing boss and fit a proper 110mm boss fitting with additional slip socket if required to get it in.
My preference would be to cut in loft and run a full new length of 110.

Unfortunately there’s a toilet connects into the stack just above that joint - it’s all boxed in so impossible to change or move the pipework above where I’ve pictured.
🙁

Parents have had a steel beam put into their hallway ceiling to adequately support landing and stairs.
This means that the waste from a sink and shower will need to be reinstated slightly lower into the soil pipe, as the pipes will now run under rather than through the beams (the joists will be cross battened for slightly lowered ceiling).
The current waste connection into the soil pipe is a massive old bodge so it needed redoing anyway, but the proximity to the old hole in that pipe is likely to be problematic... I’ll try to attach pictures.
Any thoughts and advice please?
Hi
It would best to install thread tee connector reducer bushing

Attachments

• thread tee-connector bushing reducer- the plumbing doctor.png
    thread tee-connector bushing reducer- the plumbing doctor.png
    97.8 KB · Views: 24
Hi
It would best to install thread tee connector reducer bushing

Sorry, whereabouts do you mean?
That image may be misleading as there’s just a piece of pipe and an elbow stuffed with rag keeping the smells and water in the soil pipe, the original pipe from the sink and shower were all removed as they went through excessively large holes in the floor joists.

Unfortunately there’s a toilet connects into the stack just above that joint - it’s all boxed in so impossible to change or move the pipework above where I’ve pictured.
🙁
You'll need to remove the boxing in order to gain access and then replace it again after. IMO, this sort of job needs to be properly without cutting corners and then proved with a pressure/smoke test before boxing it back in again. This is not 'impossible' for an amateur to do but it's more than most DIYer's would want to take on as a project.

I'm a bit worried that you are relying on 'an elbow stuffed with rag keeping the smells and water in the soil pipe'. Sewer gas is always a health hazard and can be very dangerous; you need to get the system properly sealed and airtight.

Sorry, whereabouts do you mean?
That image may be misleading as there’s just a piece of pipe and an elbow stuffed with rag keeping the smells and water in the soil pipe, the original pipe from the sink and shower were all removed as they went through excessively large holes in the floor joists.
Hi
sorry to mislead I've not seen the original pipe from the shower and sink

Struggling to find a place selling a 63mm to 40mm solvent weld boss adaptor, other than the ones online.
All of the usual physical outlets seem to favour the rubber bung style adaptors... I’m not too keen on the idea, seems a bit daft if I’m going to solvent weld all of the pipe up to the soil stack boss, to then have it connected in via a rubber bung...
😐

Plumb centre City plumbing / your local plumbing merchant have them

Lower part of branch before cleaning
4D7BA559-736B-4E0D-A92E-812682505B5A.jpeg

Short socketed section onto bottom of branch
A198E020-303C-4A52-A956-7DDD055013FC.jpeg

Stub added into floor socket for slip coupler to overlap
DF7D3A1C-CF98-4F04-A660-48BFAC702AA9.jpeg

Boss pipe solvent welded
40mm adaptor for pipe from shower and basin
98BB0D4D-78E7-4B03-AFA9-2AB02A54AA6E.jpeg
6B6193ED-0B79-44A5-8A42-F3317FA67A3F.jpeg

Slip coupling over butt joint. This was difficult, despite lots of lube!
🤣
3865089F-35DE-4C36-AD7A-1FBD8346F5B2.jpeg

Looks good yep slip couplings arnt the easiest to move / set

Looks good yep slip couplings arnt the easiest to move / set
I actually used a standard above-ground Floplast double socket coupler, and Dremel sanded off the two small stops inside. The main issue was that the collar that keeps the rubber seal in place kept popping off when I pushed it over the end of the pipe. Once in position however I was able to click it back into place.

By contrast, the Floplast below-ground double coupling is advertised as having “removable centre stop to use as slip coupling”.
Perhaps there is an equivalent above-ground type but I wasn’t able to locate one…

You shouldn't be handling it without gloves. Risk of sepsis.
And hepatitis you don't want that it's really nasty I had a mate who got it off drains he went from 13 stone down to 9 and was ill for months , always use gloves and plenty of hot soapy water after completion of the work. Kop

If its your own family and you know no ones got hep, cholera, covid, typhoid etc you should be fairly safe - make sure you wash your hands before your tea!
Municipal / communal systems on the other hand ⚰️⚰️ !

Would agree hepatitis is very nasty you can now be inoculated against all types.
I had it done few years ago when we did large upgrade/replacement of cast stacks and drainage job.

All completed a few weeks back - rather a lot of joins on the shower waste but it’s much smoother and more direct that the old setup which doubled back on itself rather unnecessarily with horizontal runs and little fall!

Attachments

• 1BED99BA-E32C-4E38-9C55-980A576ABCE2.jpeg
    1BED99BA-E32C-4E38-9C55-980A576ABCE2.jpeg
    429.4 KB · Views: 8
  • DC2AC058-0348-4ADF-A25D-323B8623B93B.jpeg
    DC2AC058-0348-4ADF-A25D-323B8623B93B.jpeg
    424.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20BA051C-6AE3-493D-9F6A-3D2ADC5F3044.jpeg
    20BA051C-6AE3-493D-9F6A-3D2ADC5F3044.jpeg
    376.6 KB · Views: 8
Looks spot on to me 👍

Reply to Slightly moving waste pipe connection into soil pipe in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock