Search the forum,

Discuss Sink trap leaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GSte

I've been trying to install my own sink in the upstairs bathroom and I'm having a problem with the compact trap I'm using..... It leaks both from where it attaches to the sink and the waste pipe. I've tried putting about 15 turns of ptfe on each join but while that's helped it doesn't seem to have solved the problem.... I've read not to overtighten the nuts but am not sure how tight too tight is. I've tightened them as much as I can with my hand but not used a spanner. The rubber o-rings look okay and not damaged in any way. Can anyone shed any light on the problem please?

Shouldn't need ptfe on the trap. Is it all aligned correctly and the pipe cut straight?

Got any pics?

My money says it's a chrome trap...they always leak :sweatdrop:

No pics as yet but can get some up tomorrow..... It all seems to be aligned pretty well yeah.... the waste pipe that attaches to the bottom of the trap isn't cut perfectly square, though I did have that join so that it wasn't leaking yesterday.... the main problem is where the trap screws onto the sink, I just can't get that one to stop leaking...

You're not on your own. I've just had a pig of one too - they're not the best of designs!

Remove the trap and waste and start again.

Put a ring of silicone around the underside of the top of the waste then push it into the hole (with washer if supplied).

Holding waste in situ, begin the remaining process underneath the basin, put a generous ring of silicone around the hole and also on the basin.

Take the washer, and put a ring of silicone on this, then push on to waste.

Take the nut, put a ring of silicone on this then attach nut.

Tighten nut by hand and remove excess silicone.

Tighten more with pump pliers.

Remove remaining excess.

Leave for a good 15 minutes, then put basin over a bucket and test.

Attach basin to wall/unit/pedestal.

The trap usually does not cause problems.

Ah.... didn't know if silicone was a good idea or not but if it's okay to use it then I'll do that. The trap is a plastic one by the way.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll report back when I've put it into practice. :)

i find silicon allows the rubbers to slip out of position
if its leaking where the trap joins the waste fitting does the spigot partof the trap enter the waste fitting to allow the rubber ring on the trap to butt aginst edge of waste fitting ?if not you need to file down the spigot
to be honest these traps are normly pretty reliable at sealing

if its the connection between the trap and the basin waste try looking at the rubber washer sometimes these are twisted and therefore not seated correctly thus causing leaks. if seated correctly it should not leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sink trap leaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Useful
My parents have a leak from kitchen sink. My dad removed waste trap and since refitted it leaks, but there wasn’t any kind of seal on it, I got a rubber/plastic gasket that seems To fit the trap but with it, I can’t get it to screw and lock back on (has lugs so locks after quarter turn. But...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying replace a basin waste and I cannot get the chrome ring attaching it to the trap undone. It's not a nut so using a wrench with rag is just slipping. I've tried release spray but still no movement. Any suggestions? Cheers, Andy
Replies
Views
  • Question
A while ago I replaced a leaky, corroded sink trap. That all appears to be fine, I can't find any leaks with it, and everything under the sink appears to be consistently dry. The problem I have is that there appears to be a leak where the waste pipe out from the bottle trap meets the wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Desperately in need of help. Getting very annoyed with myself Replaced the click plug in my bathroom for a new Basin Slotted one along with the Thomas Dudley Basin Waste kit All relatively straightforward to put together but why is it still dripping I'm using the preexisting metal...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm installing my first Belfast/butler kitchen sink. It came with the waste and stainless steel drain. To my surprise the kit only has one washer in which the instructions clearly state that it should be placed underneath the sink. My question is, shouldn't there be a washer between the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock