• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

Discuss Sink tap removal - am I missing something obvious? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys.

First time poster and by all admission an enthusiastic amateur...

I am trying to replace a washer in my bathroom sink tap. Having located the pipe isolation screw, I have managed to stop the dripping but for the life of me, having removed the tap cover, cannot work out how to remove the top of the tap! I was expecting a simple screw underneath but other than a tiny hole (which may or may not lead to a tiny screw), no obvious way to remove.

I’m sure it’s a pretty old setup that may require a plumber unscrewing various nuts underneath the sink but i’m hoping there is a slim chance I’m just missing something obvious? Seems like a lot of work to just replace a perished washer otherwise.

Pictures attached to help illustrate.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

rpm

Esteemed
Plumber
Undo the lowest bigger nut and remove the whole thing as one, you can see the line where it seperates on the body.

snowhead

Esteemed
Plumber
As RPM said and hold the spout tight with something to stop it moving,

Attachments

Ben-gee

Esteemed
Plumber
Same as rpm and snowhead.

I know I’m not adding to the thread but I just want to know if snowhead has a spare of his nice blue spanner, I could do with one with such thin jaws.

moonlight

Plumber
Gas Engineer
Same as rpm and snowhead.

I know I’m not adding to the thread but I just want to know if snowhead has a spare of his nice blue spanner, I could do with one with such thin jaws.
Bacho do a nice thin jaw spanner.
or you could get the 8"

Reply to Sink tap removal - am I missing something obvious? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net