• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net (formerly UKPlumbersForums.co.uk). Please login with your usual username and password. Or register for free if you haven't already done so.

Discuss Sink basin repair in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Andreas Egeland

Reaction score
Dear community,

I need some option recommendations on how to fix a hole in my sink basin. The hole was created by a cosmetic item that fell from the cupboard above, less than a meter fall, hitting the corner of the sink which I believe is one of the thinner parts of the ceramic. It is a Laufen semi recessed basin which is suppose to be a high quality brand and it surprised me how easily it broke. I know there is a five year warranty on their products and I am currently in contact with the supplier of this sink, however while I am waiting for a response, I'd be keen to know whether I could fix this myself by using some type of ceramic filler, brush and smooth it down with sandpaper and use a spray paint white glossy colour to finish.

I know these repair kits are not to expensive, so I was thinking it might be worth having a go at it?

Please let me know your opinion.

Thanks,

Andreasimage1.jpeg image2.jpeg image2.jpeg

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Trusted
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
New sink

Reactions: WC1

Craig Watson

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Good quality? Probably. Bulletproof? Probably not. You'll be wasting your time with the manufacturers, the 5 year warranty is against manufacturing defects, not gravity. You'll also be wasting your time with a self repair kit. That's a big hole and those kits won't be a direct match to the colour so regardless of how well you fill it, you will see the repair.

There are companies out there who offer a proper repair service and the results look good. I don't know how much they cost though. Your basin was around the £150-200 mark? Might be in your best interest to just bite the bullet and replace it.

WC1

Reaction score
If you're desperate try building it up with a few packets of white miliput.

Craig Watson

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Home Insurance may cover it.
Probably would but when you consider the insurance excess and increased premiums for the next couple of years it probably wouldnt be cost effective to claim.

Last edited:

bogrodder

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Flour and water, it’s a known proven repair.

Hovis is the best

WC1

Reaction score
Strong white flour for white glazed basin repair, not wholemeal!

YorkshireDave

Plumber
Reaction score
Theres a company called Surface Medic. Some of their repairs are nothing short of jaw droppingly good. However, I have no idea of cost.
What I do know is that without experience you are going to end up with a pigs ear that may do more damage. Getting it repaired properly seems the way to go.
Oh, its simply idiotic to think your abuse will be covered by a manufacturer.

Allgoode

GSR
Reaction score
As mentioned above, time to put your hand in your pocket & get a new sink.

There may be a cheaper brand that looks similar that will do the job for you.

Manufacturer guarantee only covers manufacturing defects bizarrely enough & not accidents like this, that's what insurance is for - accidents.

rpm

Trusted
Plumber
Reaction score
If you own the property then replace if you rent then ... and good luck.

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Top Bottom