Search the forum,

Discuss Single Room Underfloor Heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

audis

Hi All,

I have installed UFH in my kitchen extension. Problem is to get it started. I can feel that hot water is going trough pump, but no heat water is coming back. So I thought either it's connected wrong or I have a air in the system. Please see file attached with pipework explained. So this circuit is connected where old radiator used to be. Rest of the system, I mean radiators is working brilliant. Just wanted to make sure everything is connected correctly. Although I tried to get some air out by unscrewing nut in the middle of the pump, as far as I can see only water coming out, no air. Please please if you know anything let me know. It's getting colder soon, don't want to freeze pipework. Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• Pump Jpeg.jpg
    Pump Jpeg.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 73
Is the pump running... Have you set the blending valve correctly?

How was it commissioned, I like to flush water through the loop to get all the air out!

Air lock. Turn off flow and return, fit a drain cock on the return (perm) and run off about 20L .

Also the floor will take up to 4 days to get warm initially

Even if it need up to 4 days to heat up, I still should feel hot water on my UFH return pipe? I will do like you said. Does it looks like everything is connected corectly?

Yes, pump is running. I did run water for a while through the loop before closing isolating valves, in theory there shouldn't be any air locks.

Yes, pump is running. I did run water for a while through the loop before closing isolating valves, in theory there shouldn't be any air locks.

First of all what size is the room and how long is the pipe length?

Single zone sould not be connected yo radiator circuit.

It should be piped back to the main flow amd return from the boiler. The problems you have are twofold.
One . As above,you need to clear the air.
Two . pipe back to mains. Underfloor needs a constant supply. Every time your time clock, or room thermostat turns off you will loose any heat scorce.

It should be piped back to the main flow amd return from the boiler. The problems you have are twofold.
Two . pipe back to mains. Underfloor needs a constant supply. Every time your time clock, or room thermostat turns off you will loose any heat scorce.

My mate connected the same way as I did and it works fine for him.

Room is 12 Sq.m and pipe lenght was around 70 m.

What pipe centres, the distance from pipe to pipe ? What insulation have you used underneath?

Last edited by a moderator:
It was around 15cm between pipes, and I used 100mm Kingspan insulation.

Well, you've ticked the boxes for me. Like what said previously, it needs to come off main circs from boiler and zoned. Also it's okay to just connect onto old rad pipes, but those rad pipes could come from an undersized heating system pipe work.

Well, you've ticked the boxes for me. Like what said previously, it needs to come off main circs from boiler and zoned. Also it's okay to just connect onto old rad pipes, but those rad pipes could come from an undersized heating system pipe work.

By undersized you mean if pipework for old radiators would be microbore 8mm or 15mm pipes?

By undersized you mean if pipework for old radiators would be microbore 8mm or 15mm pipes?

Them pipes you connected to may be already branched off other 15 mm pipe that serves anywhere from 1-6 rads for example, so the water is undiluted with heat....if you get me?

Them pipes you connected to may be already branched off other 15 mm pipe that serves anywhere from 1-6 rads for example, so the water is undiluted with heat....if you get me?
Got it! Will check, need to lift some floorboards! Question, if my boiler flow to UFH loop comes very hot it wouldn't be the case this time?

If you've already run water through the circuit there shouldn't be any airlocks.
There shouldn't be any problems connecting to a rad circuit provided the main pump and feed pipe sizes are sufficient to get the required amount of hot water to the manifold. Don't forget the mixing valve will drop the water temp to something like 40C and UFH systems are normally sized to give about 5C difference, so the return will be 35C once it's up to temperature.
It looks like 15mm pipe so if you've got 70m of it I'd estimate about 7 mins before the hot water you stuck in at one end comes out the other. Unfortunately, this water will have given up all its heat to the slab so will still seem cold. You'd need to have the heating on for several days before you'll find the return temp rising.
Another thought, if this is the first time its being used you should really bring the heat on gradually by turning the mixing valve down and slowly increase the temp over following days by about 1C per day. Stops the screed cracking, but this is mainly on commercial installs, you might be okay with such a small room.

Thanks all for replies!! Was really helpful! I think it was just the case where I expected return flow from UFH be quite warm after short term! Now I turn the UFH on for 1 hour and already can feel the floor warming up, will give you more update later on how it works!
Question, if the concrete is about 4 months old, it still should be ok to start heating it up with like 40C as the curing period for concrete was done after first 28 days off it's life, is that ok? Or it could still cause cracks?

no it still could cause cracks. you need to increase the temperature slowly over several days if not weeks really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Single Room Underfloor Heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock