Search the forum,

Discuss single pipe system without bypass between rads in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some old Builder giving it large today about sytems without a bypass between each rad and you cant take that rad off because it will stop the whole system and bla bla bla

as its his job i gave him my 2 cents and he didnt want to know so shut my trap and left him to it

i've never seen such a system and cant see how it would work with any sense without having stone cold rads at the end of the circuit.

is there a question in there??
a one pipe system is inefficient.
if the radiators are in series then turning 1 off will cut the flow to everything.
what reason was there for thinking it was a one pipe system?

sorry had to re-do the post and obviously missed the last line

i was curious as to how common a one pipe system in series is in a domestic environment

there wasn't any reason to suspect it was a one pipe system but the builder was a hot head who couldn't be reasoned with

Getting less and less common. Old design from years ago that cant be installed anymore due to building regs.
As above - very inefficient

They aren't in series as such. There is a loop from boiler and round building and back to boiler. This could be gravity but most that are still around from years back, will have that loop pumped. The rads worked off gravity circulation. They will get warm in turn as the return water from each rad will enter the loop and have a cooling effect.

If you closed off one rad, it would not stop the circuit from working.

It's not like the old Christmas tree light bulb thing.

I had one earlier this year which was plumbed in series and then had a new Combi fitted with trvs.

I had to take the trvs off and it would work.
Quoted to repipe.

I had one earlier this year which was plumbed in series and then had a new Combi fitted with trvs.

I had to take the trvs off and it would work.
Quoted to repipe.

Came across a system donkeys years ago in a bungalow which had several rads daisychained together with a single double entry valve on each, forget who used to make the valves. In effect it was a single pipe system and by closing the rad valve it bypassed to the next one. Normally only come across single pipe systems in old schools and big houses with 100 year old systems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to single pipe system without bypass between rads in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock