• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

From the United States of America? - Checkout our specific plumbing forum for you:USA Plumbing Forum

Discuss Single pipe system blocked ? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Gasmk1

Gas Engineer
You possibly have a one pipe system relies on gravity normally to heat up each rad that why they are top entry bottom exit if your TRV’s are not full flow there is one restriction, you have probably messed with the lock shields so system is out of balance, what pump speed have you set it at it may be going too fast to allow flow into the radiators.

1612714286707.gif
1612714085972.jpeg

Last edited:
all the rads are and always have been bottom entry and exit as diagram 2. My understanding is the flow thru rads is driven by combination of convection and differential pressure as whenever a flow is present in a pipe the pressure down stream will always be lower. I stand to be corrected but it would seem balancing the system is just about getting even / efficient heat distribution from each rad in the system.

You’re clearly the man for the job, I expect you’ve fixed it by now.
if it had been my house i'd have probably f****d it up altogether by now ha ha. As it's my mother's i'll leave it to the professionals , mind you i have now supplied them with job methods from sentinel and fernox for chemical clean and will be in attendance to make sure it's followed.

I haven't read the entire thread in forensic detail :) but I can't see the part where you checked and ruled out the boiler heat exchanger. That's where the narrowest channels in the system are likely to be found. Is there a filter? If so, how much crud was in it. If not, that may be your problem.

I haven't read the entire thread in forensic detail :) but I can't see the part where you checked and ruled out the boiler heat exchanger. That's where the narrowest channels in the system are likely to be found. Is there a filter? If so, how much crud was in it. If not, that may be your problem.
no filter at the moment , will get 1 fitted if / when replace all pipework , eng coming back 19/2 to carry out repeat chemical clean so will ask him about exchanger then.

cjg

Plumber
like i said balancing issue right at the start. its a pain in the but to sort some times done 2 last year.

like i said balancing issue right at the start. its a pain in the but to sort some times done 2 last year.
Still can't understand how it's a balancing issue as no radiators are " over heating " ie robbing the others. I can see how you can balance the rads to share heat output but without valves in the pipework circuit what other " balancing " can you do ? can you explain your theory / potential fix.

Still can't understand how it's a balancing issue as no radiators are " over heating " ie robbing the others. I can see how you can balance the rads to share heat output but without valves in the pipework circuit what other " balancing " can you do ? can you explain your theory / potential fix.
God help the plumber on this job.

Reply to Single pipe system blocked ? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net