Search the forum,

Discuss Single lever monobloc mixer tap with new cartridge is still leaking (not dripping from spout). in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

The tap was leaking from its body (under the 2-way swivel handle; where you access the big brass nut and the cartridge) when turned ON more that a little bit. I've replaced the cartridge and it leaks in same way.
It doesn't drip from the spout nor leak when turned off. So, as far as I can see there's only one 3-hole o-ring seal between cartridge bottom and tap body. If this was leaking I'd expect a drip and leak with tap turned OFF, due to the static water pressure. If not, then I'm flummoxed - leaking through body of cartridge?? - By the way, we've done it on 2 taps with identical results.
Phil.

If you’re unable to provide a photo, then next best thing might be make and model?

Here you go, fairly self-explanatory. I guess that taps & china were sourced together; the basin says it's "Roca".
Interior bathroom tap-med res.jpg
Exterior bathroom tap-low res.jpg

I can only tell you that they look identical to the ones that came out and spigots slotted in nicely, they felt properly seated, and diameter is easy fit (not touching the body).
Just looked at old one, it says "MS 2005 oct - 22", I think building was finished in 2008.

The three o-rings are hot in, cold in, blend out. So if the blend out one is leaking it can behave as yours is.

Try removing the cartridge and carefully cleaning up the seat then replace cartridge with a smidge of silicone grease on each oring( making sure they are seated properly.)

The shroud looks a bit mullered! That won’t make it leak of course but may affect ease of use.

Aha, yes, I see what you mean, Ben-gee, thanks. I'll have to get organised tomorrow and have another look.

The shroud indicates its age and the amount of limescale that was cementing it tight - it took a makeshift oil-filter wrench sort of arrangement with rubber bands providing friction!

I know where you’ve been!

Those shrouds are yet another triumph of form over function, would it kill the “designer” to put us a couple of flats on the thing?

Just because a cartridge fits does not mean it works. With 40mm carts like that many have orings on the body. In addition, the end seal orings must be the correct dia.

Many of these carts are only tested to a pathetic 4 bar too and leak internally once that's exceeded.

In this instance, I would personally go back to the manu. For example, Grohe test their carts to 6-8bar.

In addition, over tightening the top nut can distort the cart and cause leakage. Its vital its done up to the correct torque.

Hmm, thanks YDave, where can I find the correct value of torque?
When talking about o-rings I'm not sure of the terminology - like I said the only visible is one (gasket, perhaps) with 3 openings. I'm including a photo with contrast turned right up (an old one complete with limescale) - I hope this doesn't affect your thinking - The new ones came complete with rubber gasket in its recess.
Cartridge base.jpg

With seeing the new I cannot comment further.

I can however tell you that the old cartridge is a quailty item. Most sold online today are nowhere near as good as this one.

I know where you’ve been!

Those shrouds are yet another triumph of form over function, would it kill the “designer” to put us a couple of flats on the thing?

Engineers would have done that Ben. The accountants however would have removed them as they add to the price the manu would pay...

Last edited by a moderator:
As to correct torque, not much!

I have “nipped up” the large brass nut on one of these only to find myself with a slack handful of assorted plastic bits, mind you I was cross about something at the time and have proper plumber’s forearms!

Right - I think the guy may have judged it by the torque to undo it - including the limescale stiction!

Is that big brass top nut standardised? - I measure it once at 30mm (across flats), 2nd time 32mm, and just for fun (showing my age) 1 3/16 inches.
I was cringing to see a mole wrench tightened onto it, there's not a great deal of metal thickness in places.

As to correct torque, not much!

I have “nipped up” the large brass nut on one of these only to find myself with a slack handful of assorted plastic bits, mind you I was cross about something at the time and have proper plumber’s forearms!
Do you have callousses on your favoured palm too? :D:D:D

No
Right - I think the guy may have judged it by the torque to undo it - including the limescale stiction!

Is that big brass top nut standardised? - I measure it once at 30mm (across flats), 2nd time 32mm, and just for fun (showing my age) 1 3/16 inches.
I was cringing to see a mole wrench tightened onto it, there's not a great deal of metal thickness in places.

Many the same but there is no standard.

Firstly find an identical cartridge. Make sure it has the filter mesh inside too. Make sure its tested to 6 bar plus.
Install it having cleaned all the seats. Tighten the lock nut literally finger tight and turn on your supplies just enough to begin to pressurise. Tighten the nut up enough to simply stop it leaking - I'd suggest a 1/4 turn at a time. Once it stops do another 1/8th turn.

Thanks Dave, I think the cartridges are identical and with mesh.

I haven't been able to get to it today so timing is good. Excellent torquing advice, thanks - bit like my Mini front hubs nuts; tighten so far then a bit more until you can get the split pin through the castellations; takes me back a couple of decades!

I've not been around for a while and just wanted to thank everybody for their contributions. I now have 1 tap that refuses to stop leaking, but the attached photo should explain why!

Threads backlit by red torch.jpg

Having prepared myself to email the manufacturers and parts people etc. I googled "spare parts for taps" - the first link was to Ebay and their first listing had a photo I immediately recognised for a 40mm top nut and cover!!!
I'm expecting it soon and have fingers all crossed.

cheers guys, Phil.

Did you get this problem sorted? I am having the same problem....changed the cartridge but still leaking from the bottom of the shroud

Hi, Debbie. The answer is no I'm afraid, i.e. I replaced both taps with another make (and no leaking). The bath tap is identical in its workings and when investigated showed evidence of long-term leaking also! That makes all of my flat's taps except for different in kitchen.
I'm currently living with the bath tap leak - drilled through (plastic) shroud, with hole at the back and not visible and a little silicone grease around the shroud to restrict water's exit to the hole; BUT surface tension stops the water escaping through the 1/8 inch hole - it has to be encouraged by tapping with a finger!
Sorry I can't help, except to say that my new £20 taps work well, are very smooth, look good and well made; fingers crossed for longevity. (Oh, and if same model tap, be aware how BIG they are when considering a replacement perhaps - I'm OK with my smaller taps, not too much out of scale with basin)

Hi, Debbie. The answer is no I'm afraid, i.e. I replaced both taps with another make (and no leaking). The bath tap is identical in its workings and when investigated showed evidence of long-term leaking also! That makes all of my flat's taps except for different in kitchen.
I'm currently living with the bath tap leak - drilled through (plastic) shroud, with hole at the back and not visible and a little silicone grease around the shroud to restrict water's exit to the hole; BUT surface tension stops the water escaping through the 1/8 inch hole - it has to be encouraged by tapping with a finger!
Sorry I can't help, except to say that my new £20 taps work well, are very smooth, look good and well made; fingers crossed for longevity. (Oh, and if same model tap, be aware how BIG they are when considering a replacement perhaps - I'm OK with my smaller taps, not too much out of scale with basin)

Thanks for getting back. It's so frustrating, we changed the cartridge and all was OK until the following day, just a slight drip. Did a someone said on here and turned the water back on before putting the handle back so we could see the leak then re tightened the retaining nut and it all seemed to be ok, have coated everything in silicone grease and last night it was OK....got up today and after using its dripping again. Mines a Bristan liquorice hose tap. I may look at replacing. Thanks again

Reply to Single lever monobloc mixer tap with new cartridge is still leaking (not dripping from spout). in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock