From the United States of America? - Checkout our specific plumbing forum for you:USA Plumbing Forum

Discuss ShowerPowerBooster Ltd Now Sponsor PlumbersForums.net!! in the Forum Sponsor News / Offers area at PlumbersForums.net

uHeat Forum Sponsor - PlumbersForums.net - Electric and Water Underfloor Heating Systems
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Lou

-
Staff member
Admin

centralheatking

Esteemed
Plumber
Alan and I are both associated because we were the first two designers to go to Flowflex and be accepted into their innovation
initiative. He is a really good intuitive design engineer with a history as a water engineer in Norfolk. Met him loads of times
centralheatking. oops the Flowflex blow off terminal pre dates us both and is a tidy unit ...I know the designer of this aswell chking

Last edited:

Alan Wright

Official Sponsor
I am happy to sponsor the forum:) I was going to put together a nice landing page for people visiting my web site from the forum with offers etc. Things happened quicker than expected soI have not got the landing page yet but could I please interest people in signing up as a Shower Power Booster Installer. Just click on the link below to see what you get:-

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Thank you for the support

I am happy to sponsor the forum:) I was going to put together a nice landing page for people visiting my web site from the forum with offers etc. Things happened quicker than expected soI have not got the landing page yet but could I please interest people in signing up as a Shower Power Booster Installer. Just click on the link below to see what you get:-
Hi Alan, looks like it could be an interesting product.

Have you got any data from an independent test house to show performance please?

A google search didn’t come up with much technical info on this.

Alan Wright

Official Sponsor
One the things which the new landing page will do is give links to technical specifications etc (I am still trying to recover from a Marketing Agency that thought removing all technical data was a good idea and trashed my web site).
The validation of the Shower Power Booster took place at Cranfield University in the oil and gas research department with output data based on a pump which has since been upgraded and improved and automated. Since 2012 we have sold around £1.5 million worth of pumps worldwide.
TrustPilot
We signed up for Trustpilot to get independent reviews 6 months ago and our current TrustPilot based on 652 reviews gives 82% of customers saying its excellent (and 10% saying its great).
Shower Power Booster is rated "Excellent" with 9.2 / 10 on Trustpilot
Technical Specification
Flow Pressure Graph (Pump Curves)
https://showerpowerbooster.co.uk/information/showerpowerbooster-flow-output/

One the things which the new landing page will do is give links to technical specifications etc (I am still trying to recover from a Marketing Agency that thought removing all technical data was a good idea and trashed my web site).
The validation of the Shower Power Booster took place at Cranfield University in the oil and gas research department with output data based on a pump which has since been upgraded and improved and automated. Since 2012 we have sold around £1.5 million worth of pumps worldwide.
TrustPilot
We signed up for Trustpilot to get independent reviews 6 months ago and our current TrustPilot based on 652 reviews gives 82% of customers saying its excellent (and 10% saying its great).
Shower Power Booster is rated "Excellent" with 9.2 / 10 on Trustpilot
Technical Specification
Flow Pressure Graph (Pump Curves)
https://showerpowerbooster.co.uk/information/showerpowerbooster-flow-output/
I’d be interested to see the flow lab data when you get the landing page up and running.

What sort of MTBF can you guarantee?

Are the units serviceable in any way or do you just recommend replacement on most faults?

How does the unit cope in hard water areas?

If the pump fails does it cause a restriction to flow?

I can see why you’d choose use a power pack rather than the unit being 240v but I’m never a fan of burying things like this in lofts or under floor boards from a fire safety perspective.

Alan Wright

Official Sponsor
1.0 Lab flow data was based on an earlier motor which is less potent that the latest models.
2.0 Pumps sold in 2013 are still going strong but we sell about 1 pump motor a month and you can buy a replacement motor for £25 and just replace the motor
3.0 It works brilliantly in hard water areas - I have never had a failure. Pumps I fitted in in my own home which is a renowned hard water area shows zero buildup.
4.0 If you get a power cut there is no restriction to flow. A 22mm single check valves opens plus some flow still gets through the bypass pump.
5.0 There is a fuse in the plug, a trip in the transformer, a trip in the flow switch, and neither the pump or the transformer runs hot. Electrical safety is not an issue.
All our pumps are made under strict quality control by Flowflex in Buxton in Derbyshire. Each flow circuit is tested in Buxton Norfolk and then after assembly in Buxton Derbyshire the flow switches are retested as part of the whole assembly where a 8 bar pressure test is also applied.
I could make the pumps in China or Vietnam and save a bit of money but I wanted a quality product that would not fail in service.
There are circumstances where the only real place to put the pumps is inside a partition wall:- https://showerpowerbooster.co.uk/blog/boosting-showers-and-taps-in-hotels/
:)

1.0 Lab flow data was based on an earlier motor which is less potent that the latest models.
2.0 Pumps sold in 2013 are still going strong but we sell about 1 pump motor a month and you can buy a replacement motor for £25 and just replace the motor
3.0 It works brilliantly in hard water areas - I have never had a failure. Pumps I fitted in in my own home which is a renowned hard water area shows zero buildup.
4.0 If you get a power cut there is no restriction to flow. A 22mm single check valves opens plus some flow still gets through the bypass pump.
5.0 There is a fuse in the plug, a trip in the transformer, a trip in the flow switch, and neither the pump or the transformer runs hot. Electrical safety is not an issue.
All our pumps are made under strict quality control by Flowflex in Buxton in Derbyshire. Each flow circuit is tested in Buxton Norfolk and then after assembly in Buxton Derbyshire the flow switches are retested as part of the whole assembly where a 8 bar pressure test is also applied.
I could make the pumps in China or Vietnam and save a bit of money but I wanted a quality product that would not fail in service.
There are circumstances where the only real place to put the pumps is inside a partition wall:- https://showerpowerbooster.co.uk/blog/boosting-showers-and-taps-in-hotels/
:)
Looks interesting!

Still not a fan of power supplies plugged in permanently.

I’ve got UKAS certified pressure and flow instruments in the workshop and a shockingly poor vented hot water system/shower at home. Hopefully this will cut down on the nagging from the wife and I’ll be able to provide some good feedback.

Is a Surrey flange required as with other pumps?

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Curious about the angry face with Surry flange. They seem to be fairly well accepted as solving a real problem if entrained air.
Depends on the flow the only reason we need them on a standard pump install is that it will pull air down the vent due to it pulling / sucking that much water / needing a decent flow

Depends on the flow the only reason we need them on a standard pump install is that it will pull air down the vent due to it pulling / sucking that much water / needing a decent flow
Possibly wrong but my understanding is they act as a dip tube, air becomes less soluble on water as you heat it leading to an accumulation of air at the top of the cylinder. The S flange of similar draws of water from a lower point in the tank allowing the air to flow out through the taps.

How does taking water from a lower point o the tank reduce pump suction pressure?

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Possibly wrong but my understanding is they act as a dip tube, air becomes less soluble on water as you heat it leading to an accumulation of air at the top of the cylinder. The S flange of similar draws of water from a lower point in the tank allowing the air to flow out through the taps.

How does taking water from a lower point o the tank reduce pump suction pressure?
That means you would get air out of your taps when you draw off if the top was mixed

It doesn’t reduce but the supply isn’t mixed with a vent it’s direct so no chance of pulling from the vent due to high flow

That means you would get air out of your taps when you draw off if the top was mixed

It doesn’t reduce but the supply isn’t mixed with a vent it’s direct so no chance of pulling from the vent due to high flow
Yeah, that’s what happens? You don’t really notice as taps are at low pressure.

5ED520A3-E409-4167-A39F-4F7DF08A4B79.jpeg
Just re-read the vent section which also makes sense.

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
That’s a bit extreme that picture :D no where near that much is generated at given time and they would rise to the vent anyway one or two micro air bubbles might get to the pump but nothing much

Still curious why you wouldn't fit one, air destroys pumps, surely you'd want to avoid it?

centralheatking

Esteemed
Plumber
I know plenty about Alans Shower booster. The installation is quite specific to its performance, which is really why it is so clever.
As with all appliances the mantra is...'follow the manufactures instructions'. Flowflex , largest manu of plumbing fittings in Uk have tested this device and have external verification. Wras patents etc verification if not they would not produce it or my devices. If you think its something made in a shed you are way wrong
centralheatking47DB4823-98E4-43C8-A583-36D3072CCF4F.png47DB4823-98E4-43C8-A583-36D3072CCF4F.png

Last edited:

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Still curious why you wouldn't fit one, air destroys pumps, surely you'd want to avoid it?
How much air do you think is in a cylinder :D

A

Aire

I've never seen the need to install one on any domestic pump installation. I've installed hundreds of pumps and never had an issue. Don't forget that manufacturers only reccomend them, if they was the be all and end all then they would be mandatory.

How much air do you think is in a cylinder :D
Well you've pointed out air being drawn in from the vent, the manufacturers seem to suggest gas break out. Just curios what harm it does. I skimmed the MI's which said wasn't required rather than mustn't be fitted.

I've never seen the need to install one on any domestic pump installation. I've installed hundreds of pumps and never had an issue. Don't forget that manufacturers only reccomend them, if they was the be all and end all then they would be mandatory.
I'm not certain you'd know unless you did a back to back test, shower pumps aren't the quietest at the best of times.

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Well you've pointed out air being drawn in from the vent, the manufacturers seem to suggest gas break out. Just curios what harm it does. I skimmed the MI's which said wasn't required rather than mustn't be fitted.

I'm not certain you'd know unless you did a back to back test, shower pumps aren't the quietest at the best of times.
Yea not required on the booster

But recommend on a shower pump as it could pull through the vent

Alan Wright

Official Sponsor
Curious about the angry face with Surry flange. They seem to be fairly well accepted as solving a real problem if entrained air.
Surrey flanges are a pain to me because some customers fit them and expect the pipes to be air free whatever they do. If you fit a Surrey Flange on the tank, then take the supply pipe up into the loft, across the loft, and then down to the shower, you get air trapped in the loft. There is no way the air in the pipe in the loft can be vented.
I only get involved when there is a problem and if it is a plumber who did the work they get a bit upset having spent time which they want to charge to the customer plus they do not want the customer to know they made a mistake.
If you tee off the vent pipe in the loft and then fall all the way to the shower then air is vented, you get a good shower, and you save the time and cost of fitting the Surrey Flange - :)and the plumber or customer does not need me to get involved:)

Does this mean you can attach this direct to mains cold and not contravene any water bylaws? All stuart turner single impellor pumps clearly state theyre not to be connected to mains cold? Unless its a charge pump for an accumulator. What happens if theres a water disconnection in the road? Or is it possible it could pull/rob from next doors supply at peak usage times?

Alan Wright

Official Sponsor
Does this mean you can attach this direct to mains cold and not contravene any water bylaws? All stuart turner single impellor pumps clearly state theyre not to be connected to mains cold? Unless its a charge pump for an accumulator. What happens if theres a water disconnection in the road? Or is it possible it could pull/rob from next doors supply at peak usage times?
A Shower Power Booster is legal because it has a very low suction pull which is also why it can be fitted near a vent pipe and it does not pull in air.
Here is a link to my page describing how it works:-

Here is a link to the relevant section of Water Bylaws:-

Reply to ShowerPowerBooster Ltd Now Sponsor PlumbersForums.net!! in the Forum Sponsor News / Offers area at PlumbersForums.net. Plumbing questions, answers, tips and tricks.

Plumbing and Plumbers

Plumbing Workwear

Shower Power Booster

Plumbase Spares - Plumbing Supplies and Spare Parts

Water Underfloor Heating

CORGI Direct for Plumbers

The Wetroom Store

Plumbase Spares