Search the forum,

Discuss Shower unable to maintain temperature but who's the culprit? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

N

Nathalie

Thanks in advance for any advice.

We have a Lefroy Brooks XO concealed thermostatic valve shower and Worcester Heatslave 20/25 combi oil fired boiler.

We moved into this property 4 months ago and from day 1, our shower has not been able to maintain temperature. It starts off hot, and after a minute or so starts to cool down quite rapidly to luke warm, sometimes cold. The previous owner says they never had any issues with it. The only thing that he did was switch the central heating on for us on the day we moved in (it had been off all summer).

The boiler appears to be working fine, no issues with central heating, and the kitchen tap has hot water for at least 7 minutes +. We initially assumed the shower was the issue and replaced the thermostatic cartridge, that does not appear to have helped, so we're now looking elsewhere for the cause.

Something which may or may not be noteworthy, is that there seems to be a tiny amount of air that escapes the kitchen tap each time we turn it on, it's only for a few seconds, otherwise the pressure is fine the whole time. This doesn't happen at the bathroom taps. Could an airlock be causing an issue, and if so, how do we clear it? I have tried running all the taps and shower for at least 5-10 minutes and afterwards we had fantastic hot showers for a few days but then the issue returned.

We had the boiler serviced shortly after we moved in, there was a notable smell coming from it, the engineer found what he thought was the leak (a small valve that was weeping) and replaced it. This stopped the smell for a few days but it has come back (not as strongly).

The boiler is old and we are happy to replace it if need be, however, if the issue is not the boiler, then we do not want to spend thousands of pounds replacing a boiler that works, only to find that the issue with the shower still exists.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Do not replace the boiler, they are bomb proof. You could have a mixer tap or the actual shower that is passing cold water into the hot. Decent engineer should be able to pin point the issue and help.

Reply to Shower unable to maintain temperature but who's the culprit? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock