Search the forum,

Discuss Shower Tray on sloping floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, need some advice please. Getting new bathroom fitted. Plumber has fitted my new stone resin shower tray. Floor sloping quite badly so he has levelled it using whatever white coloured adhesive or tile cement or something (not sure) in big dollops. It just looks like it will not be solid once it eventually dries and sets but he said it will be.

Photos attached.

Any advice gratefully received, tiler due in on Friday. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20191009_212118.jpg
    IMG_20191009_212118.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20191009_212156.jpg
    IMG_20191009_212156.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
Tiler's going to love tiling up to that.
Who layed the plywood and didn't level it all up?

I think you already know the answer! If the tray is mounted on a solid ( concrete or stone) floor, you might get away with it. If it is on an upper or slightly flexible floor ( more than 1 in 300 movement) - it will flex. Over time flexing will cause cracking and or leaks.

Generally bedding (as a minimum) needs to be consistent an across the full width and length of the tray.

Not an easy photo to see, but what sort of waterproofing has been installed between the tray and the wall?

I think you already know the answer! If the tray is mounted on a solid ( concrete or stone) floor, you might get away with it. If it is on an upper or slightly flexible floor ( more than 1 in 300 movement) - it will flex. Over time flexing will cause cracking and or leaks.

Generally bedding (as a minimum) needs to be consistent an across the full width and length of the tray.

Not an easy photo to see, but what sort of waterproofing has been installed between the tray and the wall?
Hi, thanks for response.

I really don't know, I've just taken advice of plumber. It's on plywood, well screwed to floorboards. There is a clear sealant between tray and walls.

I'm not sure what you mean about 1 in 300 movement, I'm not technical at all with any of this type of thing, sorry. When you say cracking, where would it crack?

Thanks again.
[automerge]1570655853[/automerge]
Tiler's going to love tiling up to that.
Who layed the plywood and didn't level it all up?
Plumber

Neil,

The design criteria for deflection on floors in to limit the deflection to less than 1 in 300. That is to say that a span of 1 meter deflects by no more than 1.5mm at the mid point. The reasoning behind this is that a human walking across a floor that deflects less than 1 in 300 does not notice it.

However, with respect to shower trays this is no where near small enough to prevent cracking on the seals and distortion. So installing a shower tray on an upper floor normally requires significant stiffening of the floor to prevent cracking of the wall / tray interface.

With respect to your issue, I would be astounded if the tray manufacturer did not require / specify a full and consistent bedding underneath and across the full width of the tray.

I appreciate that this is not want you want to hear - but stand in the tray now and jump around and if you feel the slightest movement - you will either be disappointed with future cracking at the wall interface or it will leak.

I wouldn’t be happy with the tray bedding / fixing will put excess stress on the tray itself and will probably crack down the road

Needs to be totally bedded and sound

Good evening @Neil1975. I would speak to the plumber and tell him you are not happy and you would like it if he/she would level the tray correctly on the correct base specified in the manufactures instructions.

Please like this post if you found it helpful.

The floor should of been levelled first the tray needs supporting over it's whole base I have done a good few of these , if you are tiling the floor ply wood is not a good enough surface to tile onto it will need a tile backer board fitting on top either a cement based board or the foam type tile backer board . Kop

Attachments

• inCollage_20191010_061956439.jpg
    inCollage_20191010_061956439.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 34
Speak to the tiler as well to see if he has recommendations to overcome the issue or see how he expects to see it pre tiling.
It won't be the first one like this that he's seen

Speak to the tiler as well to see if he has recommendations to overcome the issue or see how he expects to see it pre tiling.
It won't be the first one like this that he's seen
Thanks, I did that this morning...I was thinking non stop in my sleep. Good advice, the tiler has definitely seen it all before. Working between them both now. Cheers

If the floor cannot be levelled across the bathroom I would have at least levelled it under the shower tray so you have even support, even if it means a slight step up to the shower tray. I would not be happy with what he has done and could end up costing you a lot more due to cracks and leaks. You might be better off with a fully lipped tray on risers so you can level it properly, rather than these fancy slate trays, not all designs suit their location.

Last edited:
I think that installation is 'woeful'.
In fact I don't think I have seen a shower base installed that bad.

Rip it up and sit it on a sand and cement screed.

Is that silicon or expander foam that the shower base is sitting on?

What is under the ply? I have had to many times level the floor from the joists up due to poor condition and joists not level in first place. Then build a level floor suitable for the tray to go on to and tiles to go on quickly and flat.

What's been done to correct it. Some pics would be good. Could provide assistance to someone else in this situation.
Ripped up, levelled floor just where tray going with cement/sand so a solid level base. Stuck down with something, pink grip or similar I think. Tiler in now so can only really get photos of finished article. Happy to post once tiler done

Reply to Shower Tray on sloping floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock