Search the forum,

Discuss Shower Tray Install in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello...removed old shower tray and want to install a new shiny tray...see pictures
How should I proceed ? Tray is ceramic about 50 kg
Thanks in advance..

F8775B8E-E2A6-43F6-B022-7308AF707A1D.jpeg

2BC44394-C0FC-46A4-B3EC-4595F3A657BC.jpeg

A7125ED5-4331-4850-874E-CFCEF8A19E96.jpeg

Thanks for reply...yes, understood...but the problem is their is no support for the tray in the corner and barely any support along the edge of the wall where all the floor has been excavated From the previous install.

I am not sure how to deal with this ?

The fitted drain is tortuous in the extreme. Very likely to block in the future. Best to remove it all and start again so fittings at the minimum. What does the waste dive down into? Using solvent weld non 90 deg fittings and rotating waste, could end up virtually straight. Protect the copper pipe properly from potential damage from cement corrosion. I would personally ‘shutter’ around remaining pipes with ply and fill remaining void with fresh concrete. Then bed tray on sand cement mix. Solid as a rock. Pipes still then accessible in future.

Remove the concrete and do / support the tray with timber base

The fitted drain is tortuous in the extreme. Very likely to block in the future. Best to remove it all and start again so fittings at the minimum. What does the waste dive down into? Using solvent weld non 90 deg fittings and rotating waste, could end up virtually straight. Protect the copper pipe properly from potential damage from cement corrosion. I would personally ‘shutter’ around remaining pipes with ply and fill remaining void with fresh concrete. Then bed tray on sand cement mix. Solid as a rock. Pipes still then accessible in future.
Thanks...yes..one thing I forgot to say is that the tray does not have a solid base but a 2 cm rim around the edge underneath. So maybe it is sufficient to channel out the concrete in red and then just make an L shaped shutter so I can fill left wall and channeled out red section with concrete ??
The drain is grim, I agree...nearly as bad as the original which was leaking downstairs into the kitchen.
2437D395-23C0-4EB3-A9F1-2CDC658B5DEB.jpeg

I had a job where there was only joists under shower tray no other support one day the bottom fell off the tray there was a 6ft drop underneath lucky people they were not using it at the time.

Think you’ll have a trampoline. Full bed of sand/cement or support from timber as per Shaun.
Getting confused...think I am not being clear.
1. Channel out concrete shown in red
2. Add concrete with L shaped shutter so I now have support of tray at left wall and end wall
3. Use sand/cement to bed tray

Getting confused...think I am not being clear.
1. Channel out concrete shown in red
2. Add concrete with L shaped shutter so I now have support of tray at left wall and end wall
3. Use sand/cement to bed tray
If you only support the edge, centre will flex, waste will move with it, eventually it will fail, especially if I send the missis round.

Hi...think I am missing something here...tray is ceramic, 52 kg.
On the picture below of the underside of the tray the rim in yellow is the only part that will touch the floor..the stuff in red is about 1 cm away from the floor...
IMG_0512 copy.jpeg

Position your new waste with the least amount of fittings possible just make good the floor with sand and cement first so it completely level and cured ,before bedding down on flexible tile adhesive . Kop

Attachments

• inCollage_20210325_064913893.jpg
    inCollage_20210325_064913893.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 10
Silicon

Yep

Reply to Shower Tray Install in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Sometime ago I removed our old 1200x800 shower tray and replaced with a Stone resin one. The stone resin tray was much, much heavier than the old one. At the time I didn't give much thought to it, but now I'm wondering which type of tray it would have been. Other than it weighed no more...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a couple of leaks coming under shower tray downstairs. One is along the wall so think might be joint between wall and tray and the other seems to be near waste tray, there is a slight hairline crack in shower tray near waste . This happens when I leave the shower head near the...
Replies
Views
Is this new shower tray defective and would you install it in this condition? The void where the wax deposits were (last photo) is between 4m-6mm deep. TIA.
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to clean out my Merlyn Truestone slate shower tray waste unit. I cannot see anyway to remove it to clean underneath. I'm stuck trying to fish out debris which isn't working great. Could anyone please advise if I can remove this or a better way to clean the debris? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi all Plumber who fitted shower frame didnt put sealent behind frame to tray before fitting frame. Now leaks when water gets into frame and down into downstairs wall Another plumber has sealed inside area whwre it is shown yellow , which i get is not ideal. i was going to just seal a thin...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock