From the United States of America? - Checkout our specific plumbing forum for you:USA Plumbing Forum

Discuss Shower tray install in the DIY Bathroom Remodelling Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, Please advice on best way to install new shower tray.
I have a leaking shower tray in small en-suite so aiming to replace with stone resin (Damp patches seen from floor underneath in kitchen - plasterboard removed to gain access) The old shower tray has been installed on T&G chipboard -sealant used I think as looks direct to T&G. Around this 900 x 900 quadrant shower tray are floor tiles I'm hoping to not lift. My question is can I bed new tray on cement mix direct onto T&G chipboard once old tray removed or use tile adhesive. Im hoping not to have to lift floor tiles, sink and toilet etc. If not direct onto T&G chipboard could I cut ply or similar to exact shape of quadrant and screw to chipboard before installing tray. Many thanks for any advice

Hi, yes understand manufactureres instruction which are to bed on cement but can I bed cement onto T&G chipboard

Okay thanks. Instead of cutting out T&G quadrant could I put backboard or similar onto T&G, seal and then put tray on - or do you mean put ply on whole of floor area. Just hoping not to remove everything in en-suite including floor tiles

Harvest Fields

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Advent Win
Okay thanks. Instead of cutting out T&G quadrant could I put backboard or similar onto T&G, seal and then put tray on - or do you mean put ply on whole of floor area. Just hoping not to remove everything in en-suite including floor tiles
Not sure I would use ply either. At least maybe marine ply

Okar marine ply. But can I just cut out marine ply exact shape of new tray and install on top of existing T&G or must I cut out existing quadrant of T&G and then install quadrant of marine ply direct onto joists. Or do I have to install marine ply the whole area

SimonG

Plumber
Advent Win
Minimum is shape of tray, but you will need to clear larger area to add in support for unsupported edges.

Hi, All will be supported if I put marine ply onto of existing T&G. Or do you mean cut out existing T&G?? I can get underneath to add noggins for support if needed.Appreciate your advice

Screw down 6mm Hardie Backer, prime the Hardie backer and the back of tray, stick down with rapid set S1 adhesive.

Riley

S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I was being neither positive or negative mate but in my humble opinion to not replace possibly wet T and G is just asking for trouble further down the line if you put another shower on top of it. I realise you were trying to avoid pulling the floor up but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. Rather than corner cutting. 6mm board whether it’s treated or not is not going to add any additional structural capability or otherwise if what it is being laid on is not up to the task. Were it me and I knew that there had been a leak then I would be wanting to check the floorboards for their structural capability going forward so somebody doesn’t step onto a tile and go straight through the floor. You asked several times if you could just board over the top and I don’t think any of my professional colleagues agreed to it because it’s not what they would do, ultimately it’s your bathroom so you can do what you like, if we do a bodge and it comes back on us then that’s lost money and customers

Wetroom Store - Official Forum Sponsor
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to Shower tray install in the DIY Bathroom Remodelling Advice area at PlumbersForums.net. Plumbing questions, answers, tips and tricks.

Shower Power Booster | PlumbersForums.net Official Sponsor
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
uHeat Forum Sponsor - PlumbersForums.net
Plumbing Advice - Find Plumbers Jobs
Bulk Workwear - Workwear Sponsor for Plumbers Forums
Wetroom Store - PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Test4Less PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Corgi Direct - Plumbers Forums Sponsor
Power Shower Booster - Official PlumbersForums.net Sponsor