• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net (formerly UKPlumbersForums.co.uk). Please login with your usual username and password. Or register for free if you haven't already done so.

Discuss Shower tray draining slowly in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Chris B

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a wet room type shower, the waste is slow at draining, so I have removed the cover and want to use one of those unblock wires to see if there is any sludge in there.

Most of the hole is taken up by a plastic pipe (possibly an airlock). I cant seem to feed the wire very far. Could somebody point me in the direction of what this is, is there a way of increasing the flow?

I've attached a picture.

Thank you

shower.JPG

townfanjon

Trusted
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean wet room type shower , thats a standard shower trap .
Can you get to the other end of the pipe , i.e where it joins soil pipe ?

OP
C

Chris B

Reaction score
Sorry, wet room not relevant.

The floor is all tiled so there is no access to the soil pipe join.

king of pipes

Trusted
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
You need a ro pump bud maybe able to hire one for less than £50 or bite the bullet a get your own . Kop

Screenshot_20181115-213705_Chrome.jpg

JCplumb

Plumber
Reaction score
There's no nack to it, you won't get your drain spring down there, some types of traps yes, but not that one. To rod it or clear it mechanically you'll need to gain access, either underneath or outside or wherever.
It amazes me when I get to a wetroom or low profile shower tray and the installers didn't leave access for this. Bet they give a tail-light guarantee, i.e. the job's guaranteed until you see the vans tail lights...
You could try chemicals, my personal fave are soda crystals, a quid a bag at the supermarket, follow the instructions and make a solution, clears most stuff from drains and is 'relatively' safe.

townfanjon

Trusted
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Sorry, wet room not relevant.

The floor is all tiled so there is no access to the soil pipe join.
As the” Kopsta” suggests the ropump or a plunger maybe your only wayout . Dont go mad plunging if you blow a pipe off , you are in the ****.

OP
C

Chris B

Reaction score
Thank you all for your helpful suggestions - will start with the crystals, then try a ro pump (with moderate force!)

Ben-gee

Plumber
Reaction score
As above, go gingerly with chemicals and pump...

Looks like a wirquin twisto or mira vortex trap; I now bin these and use normal dip tube wastes as those two seem impossible to clear. Luckily they are "self-cleaning" so silly me what am I worrying about?!

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Top Bottom