Search the forum,

Discuss Shower screen not resting on tray in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello. I'm hoping for some advice, please. I am having a new bathroom installed with a walk-in shower, using a strong resin shower tray. The glass shower screen (2m high, 1.1m wide, 8mm thick) was attached to the wall yesterday but the wall and tray were not square. At the wall end, the screen rests on the shower tray but most of the rest of the screen is actually hanging above the tray. I can see the gap.

The plumber said that this is normal and that the wall bracket can take the weight of the screen, and it just needs extra silicon along the bottom. I am sceptical and feel sure that the heavy glass screen should be spreading its weight all the way along the rim of the tray. I don't think I should be able to see a clear gap along the bottom of the screen before the silicon is applied.

Should I ask for it to be redone?

Thanks,

Crawford.

screen-1.jpg
screen-2.jpg
screen-3.jpg

I would suggest that the screen should align on the tray as well and sealed externally only. Is there a top stabilising bar for the screen. The silicon in that gap will fail pretty quickly either way. The Plumber should have squared the wall and tray before fitting.

Does the wall bar allow for any misalignment, if so I would make sure it drops to the tray to allow proper sealing and the misalignment taken up on the wall, not the way you have it.

Last edited:
That is not “normal”. Any decent fitter would align the shower tray to the wall and ensure a true 90 degree angle. Normally by stetting the tray to a true level and then packing or chasing the wall. Sometimes taking the tray slightly off level works if the error is very small.

The wall takes the weight of the screen, not the tray. If load is imposed on the tray it will compromise the effectiveness of the seal.

Don’t accept silicon, if the screen does not seal with its own fillet seal, it will eventually leak.

Sorry if the above sounds blunt

Last edited:
You will normally find small discrepancies between wall and tray being at exactly 90 degrees.

The first port of call is the manufacturers installation instructions for the screen. Screens will allow for some tolerance. But I don't like to see a gap under the screen.

I would suggest that the screen should align on the tray as well and sealed externally only. Is there a top stabilising bar for the screen. The silicon in that gap will fail pretty quickly either way. The Plumber should have squared the wall and tray before fitting.

Does the wall bar allow for any misalignment, if so I would make sure it drops to the tray to allow proper sealing and the misalignment taken up on the wall, not the way you have it.
Thanks, Frank. Yes, there is a stabilising bar at the top but it's only steadying the glass, not taking any weight. My thinking was exactly like yours, that the wall bar needs to be modified so that the glass can rest firmly on the tray.
[automerge]1570823386[/automerge]
That is not “normal”. Any decent fitter would align the shower tray to the wall and ensure a true 90 degree angle. Normally by stetting the tray to a true level and then packing or chasing the wall. Sometimes taking the tray slightly off level works if the error is very small.

The wall takes the weight of the screen, not the tray. If load is imposed on the tray it will compromise the effectiveness of the seal.

Don’t accept silicon, if the screen does not seal with its own fillet seal, it will eventually leak.

Sorry if the above sounds blunt
Hi Brambles. Thanks for your response. I'm not sure what a fillet seal is. The glass came with a metal strip that fits along the bottom which you can see in my pictures. Presumably that is to protect the bare glass and the tray from each other, and give something to run silicon along. It's a permanent screen, not meant to move at all.

If the wall and the tray are properly square, I don't understand how the wall will take the weight of the screen. Wouldn't that only happen if there was a gap, like in this case?

Last edited:

Reply to Shower screen not resting on tray in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I had to remove the glass panels from this quadrant shower cubicle and I'm struggling to get one of the screens back in place properly. The small glass panel is supposed to slide into the wall channel, and some holes in the side of the channel (inside the cubicle) should align with some...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Sometime ago I removed our old 1200x800 shower tray and replaced with a Stone resin one. The stone resin tray was much, much heavier than the old one. At the time I didn't give much thought to it, but now I'm wondering which type of tray it would have been. Other than it weighed no more...
Replies
Views
I've got an issue with the shower tray not being totally flat. As you can see from the photos, it is about 7mm out at one side. It's leaning towards the waste end though. The shower tray is pushed underneath the tiles. My mate did the tiling and I now realise that we should have put the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi all Plumber who fitted shower frame didnt put sealent behind frame to tray before fitting frame. Now leaks when water gets into frame and down into downstairs wall Another plumber has sealed inside area whwre it is shown yellow , which i get is not ideal. i was going to just seal a thin...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Shower is leaking into downstairs when water is being aimed at wall . All sealant has been redone on outside and between shower tray and wall at the bottom on inside , can’t spot any leakages here. It runs down the wall downstairs beneath shower in lines , when water is sprayed at the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock