Search the forum,

Discuss Shower runs cold when hot taps used in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,
I have just installed a new shower which works well, however if you open a hot tap anywhere else in the house the shower runs cold, however if I open a cold taps the temperature does not change. I believe my shower is only a mixer not thermostatic did not do my research when buying the whole bathroom from wickes. Water is coming from combi boiler thermostatic bar shower in other bathroom has no issues.

To resolve this do i need to fit a pressure equalisation valve.

Or do need to just reduce the cold pressure with a pressure reducing valve if this option any recommendations.

I did try reducing the flow of the cold with the isolation valve reducing the flow on the cold does stop the temp drop, would flow restriction isolation valve be an option? if so what flow rate should i install? No idea what the mains pressure is diyer no way of testing but flow rates are high.

Bristan Square Recessed Concealed Shower Valve with Diverter - Chrome 233690​

Thanks in advance
Baz

I’m guessing the new shower has a higher flow rate than the other hence why you haven’t had any problems before that’s normal and unfortunately it’s standard with combi boilers

I’m guessing the new shower has a higher flow rate than the other hence why you haven’t had any problems before that’s normal and unfortunately it’s standard with combi boilers
Bummer is there a fix?

Flow limiter on the new shower or don’t use another hot while using the shower

Ideally you want to restrict it coming out the valve single outlet or dual eg hand held and rain head ?

With hot tap open, if you turn the shower to fully hot does the temperature increase, if not, does it increase if you reduce its flowrate while still turned to fully hot?. You might also measure the flowrate and temperature from the hot tap. A 30kw combi should give a flowrate of 9LPM at 60C or 15.4LPM at 40C.

Reply to Shower runs cold when hot taps used in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I moved into a property where the pressure is slightly low and they have this super duper shower but pressure is somewhat lacking. I have had water company out and they did do a check and they found the flow rate reduced but they mentioned about the inside stopcock/tap should be changed just...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
I want to swap my electric shower to a power shower. I have a 200 litre pressurised hot water tank in the loft (not a combi boiler) the hot side has a pump and decent flow, but the cold side/hot side has not got an equal pressure as the cold is just mains fed and would say the flow is below...
Replies
Views
The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the whole house is working as normal. Hot water is working as normal on the ground floor. However, there is no hot water to the first floor bathroom. This...
Replies
Views
Hi I've seen a previous thread that is closed now regarding this subject but the end result I could not see. Our Shower runs hot for 30 seconds then cold. I have changed the thermostat and it still runs cold after 30 seconds. If we run the hot tap it is better but at best, luke warm. We have a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock