• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net (formerly UKPlumbersForums.co.uk). Please login with your usual username and password. Or register for free if you haven't already done so.

Discuss Shower pump won't turn off and water won't drain down plug in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Batman63

Reaction score
I have shower which the previous owners fitted for a disabled person and takes the space of the bath with a foldable seat. What used to happen was when the shower was turned on a motor which I assume is hidden behind a false tile cover (behind the shower) would kick in and that would then drain the water away from the plug until the shower was turned off but now the water in the plug isn't draining away and the motor stays on when the shower is turned off. The only way I can stop the motor running is hitting the power supply which is on the landing
Do anybody know if there is anything I can do myself?

IMG_2498.JPG

IMG_2499.JPG

IMG_2497.JPG

YorkshireDave

Plumber
Reaction score
IMHO unf no. Its likely to be a Whale pump and they need properly servicing. @rpm will probably know more.

rpm

Trusted
Plumber
Reaction score
Look around rooms and airing cupboard for what is generally a white plastic box, could be on a wall or on the floor, square or shaped a bit like an egg.

OP
B

Batman63

Reaction score
IMHO unf no. Its likely to be a Whale pump and they need properly servicing. @rpm will probably know more.
All I can see in the airing cupboard is a round white plastic case with a cable running to a plug and a shower pump on the floor which I think is for the ensuite

IMG_2496.JPG

YorkshireDave

Plumber
Reaction score
Look around rooms and airing cupboard for what is generally a white plastic box, could be on a wall or on the floor, square or shaped a bit like an egg.
So they are looking for a Whale's egg? :D:D:D

rpm

Trusted
Plumber
Reaction score
All I can see in the airing cupboard is a round white plastic case with a cable running to a plug and a shower pump on the floor which I think is for the ensuite

View attachment 39564
Can't see anything on the small phone screen, is it a junction box for 2 cables, keep looking

OP
B

Batman63

Reaction score
Can't see anything on the small phone screen, is it a junction box for 2 cables, keep looking
Yes it's a junction box for two cables one end with a plug and the other to a shower pump on the floor which I think is for the ensuite.
I can't see anything else in there and I noticed that the power breaker cable runs from the landing through the loft and then back through the bathroom ceiling so maybe there maybe a plastic thing in the loft or would that not be where they would put it?

rpm

Trusted
Plumber
Reaction score
Yes it's a junction box for two cables one end with a plug and the other to a shower pump on the floor which I think is for the ensuite.
I can't see anything else in there and I noticed that the power breaker cable runs from the landing through the loft and then back through the bathroom ceiling so maybe there maybe a plastic thing in the loft or would that not be where they would put it?
Waste of time telling me about junction box and no it won't be in the loft.

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Trusted
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
looking for something like this

CBW1982

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Take photo of trap in ensuite, we may be able to diagnose if it’s the one in the airing cupboard or not.

OP
B

Batman63

Reaction score
Take photo of trap in ensuite, we may be able to diagnose if it’s the one in the airing cupboard or not.
Photo of ensuite drain and shower pump located in airing cupboard. When the bathroom pump is on the noise definitely comes from behind the shower itself which is hidden

IMG_2501.JPG

IMG_2502.JPG

YorkshireDave

Plumber
Reaction score
You'll have to learn how to take pictures if you want some help Batman. Can't you get Alfred in to help?

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Top Bottom