Search the forum,

Discuss Shower problem. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike-c

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi folks, I was at a new job earlier at a small nursing home for a first time visit to fix a leaking radiator. As I was leaving the staff asked if I could have a quick look at a problem that they had with a shower. It is a bar type thermo shower that is attached to a pump. The problem is that it runs fine for a couple of minutes then it just dies away for a few seconds then tries to work again then dies off again and just keeps doing this. As it was my first visit, I am unfamiliar with the plumbing system. The pump also kicks into life at random times whilst the basin taps are used although the pump is solely for the shower. The pump is all neatly covered by a screwed box which I did not wish to disturb at the time as it was, as i said, just a quick look. The staff say that the water pressure on that floor (top) is pretty poor at the best of times.
Apparently it has been like that since it was fitted by a now defunct company so it has not been used. Could it be the wrong type of pump or just the general low pressure that is causing it?

Hi mike . Id look at storage tanks to make sure theyre filling ok. Clean out filters on the pump. Theyve obviously fitted the pump because the pressures are poor. While cleaning filters id run pump into bucket make sure no air locks. But check filters on shower and if its a nursing home shower might be through a tmv unless showers set at 40 odd degs max .

Sounds like theyve never purged it properly or layout of tanks you might be right and wrong pump installed..

may need some Non return valves on some of the taps as thats creating a pressure wave when they are turned off thus actioning the flow switches in the pump

Really need to have a good look at the pump and get a make/model of it mate,kicking in at random times could point ti a small leak and as the pressure switch opens it kicks in the pump briefly. Flow switches and small expansion vessels should be checked if they are on the pump.

It's a Wickes model 200206. It's a 1.5 bar twin impeller. It has 22mm connections but the pipework is only 15mm. Could it be too big and emptying the pipework quicker than it is filling from the tanks?

In the manual for fitting shower pumps, well the ones I do anyway always state pipework should be 22mm to the flexis going onto shower pump. I fitted one the other day where shower pump situated at bottom of cylinder was in cupboard next to bathroom and tank was directly above bathroom so I done it in 15mm works great, however whenever there is any sort of run I do it in 22mm this is probably the problem on this job. I would suggest renewing pipework

Wish I could but it's a big old house and it could be fun and games trying to trace back the pipes as most of them are under sealed floors in wet rooms!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shower problem. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock