• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

From the United States of America? - Checkout our specific plumbing forum for you:USA Plumbing Forum

Discuss Shower pressure issue in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Looking for some help with the shower pressure issue.

Issue had started after my boiler was replaced to a combi-boiler (worcester bosch greenstar 30i) about a year ago now. Hot water the shower is supplied from the combi boiler downstairs with cold water coming from the cold water tank in the loft.

The shower mixer that i had at the time (Mira pace) had started making a fairly loud noise and losing pressure every so often. Recently I decided to replace the shower mixer with (Bristan Sonqiue2 Bristan Sonqiue2 Thermostatic Shower Valve With Riser Kit Chrome - https://www.qssupplies.co.uk/bathroom-furniture-shower-taps/82475.htm) this had resulted in no weird noise being made by the shower but the water pressure being even worse. Initially pressure seems fine but about 30 seconds in it drops and then fluctuates.

Thanks in advance for your help with this as its driving me crazy.

Are you absolutely certain the cold feed for the shower is tank feed? If it is unequal pressure's probably the problem If the tank is feeding shower cold is it feeding any thing else?

Are you absolutely certain the cold feed for the shower is tank feed? If it is unequal pressure's probably the problem If the tank is feeding shower cold is it feeding any thing else?
There's a valve in the loft that comes out of the water tank and if shut off there is no cold water being fed to the shower or any of the taps. The tank is not feeding anything else as I have all other taps off as I test it.

Its difficult to see why the tank was not disconnected and the cold feed from the tank connected to the mains supply when your boiler was changed.
That would give you balanced supplies to your shower.
There may be some odd specific reason this was not done maybe go back to your boiler installer and ask the question?

Its difficult to see why the tank was not disconnected and the cold feed from the tank connected to the mains supply when your boiler was changed.
That would give you balanced supplies to your shower.
There may be some odd specific reason this was not done maybe go back to your boiler installer and ask the question?
thanks will lift up any documentation that i have for the work see if that was included. In my case would fitting one of these resolve the issue Water Pressure Equalising Valve ? Water Pressure Equalising Valve - https://www.bes.co.uk/water-pressure-equalising-valve-16711/

That will only give you water at the lower pressure so no good IMO. Can/have you set the HW (tap symbol?) temperature on the boiler to 40/45C, no mixing required then and may work until you get mains cold to the shower.

thanks i appreciate your answers will reach out to the company that did the the boiler installation.

If i was to undertake the work myself how involved would it be to redirect the water to bypass the water tank?

Had a reply below back from the one of the big energy firms that had done the boiler replacement for me. I feel that they are being unreasonable with me and could have at least mentioned that I will need to get cold water reconfigured to avoid issues with shower pressure.

As part of the boiler installation, the scope wouldn’t include the re-configuration of the cold water supplies to any exiting cold outlet in the property. You will now get cold main supply pressure through the hot tap (with you having a combi boiler installed) but existing tap outlets or in this case a gravity fed shower from the cold water storage tank, would not be re-configured.

Ric2013

Plumber
If they didn't mention it, I agree. Especially as, with presumably no check valves on a shower mixer on unbalanced pressures they have left an illegal installation in breach of the Water Regulations which would have been previously compliant as the previous pressures were balanced. Any workman has a responsibility to carry out work to a reasonable standard: this fails in this respect.

Being practical, if the shower used to work on gravity okay, then a pressure reducing valve or pressure equalising valve to the shower hot inlet should make the shower work how it used to before the combi was fitted. It'll be lower pressure than now, but that's how it was before.

Got upto the loft to have a quick look and as expected found the cold water tank full and still in full use. Took some pictures below. I can see a 15mm pipe going from the airing cupboard to the loft and connected into the water talk as a feed. I have also traced a 22m pipe from the water tank coming down to the airing cupboard. Am i right in thinking that all I need to do it to join the two pipes in the airing cupboard together after I had drained the water tank? That would also mean that the toilet and the downstairs toilet would be supplied by the mains water pressure instead of the water tank, can there be any issues with that?

As always thanks for your help.

1618416666681.png1618416624072.png1618416579586.png1618416594018.png

Reply to Shower pressure issue in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net