Search the forum,

Discuss Shower panels - do they need packing behind for fixtures? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hi all,
I'm due to fit my first shower panels on a corner shower tray. The customer has chosen Mermaid Elite boards. I'll be using a centre profile for the panel corner. Later, I'll be fitting the usual shower enclosure, riser rail, soap holder and grab rail.
Should I pack the space between the panels and the wall, where I'll be screwing. (It's brick wall, old tiles already removed). So to prevent bowing of the panel around the screws? Or isn't this necessary (ie, the gap is small, and it will be partly packed out with adhesive anyway).
And if so, what do you generally use to pack it? The installation instructions don't mention any need for packing.
Thanks for your advice everyone,
Jennie

When you say brick wall behind is it plasterboarded? Usually you only need a small bead of adhesive and we use a block and mallet to tap it tight to the wall behind, so no void. If the wall is poor behind you may be better reboarding it first.
I have seen them installed on batons, obviously they need to be spaced to wherever you are fixing things, just like a stud.

When you say brick wall behind is it plasterboarded? Usually you only need a small bead of adhesive and we use a block and mallet to tap it tight to the wall behind, so no void. If the wall is poor behind you may be better reboarding it first.
I have seen them installed on batons, obviously they need to be spaced to wherever you are fixing things, just like a stud.
Hi Nick
I think I've got my answers. The panels my customer has chosen don't need profiles. So they'll be sitting flush to the wall (plastered brick), so no void. The wall is in great condition. So hopefully I'll have a good install.
Thanks for your advice.
Jennie

Corner profiles are the devil

Reply to Shower panels - do they need packing behind for fixtures? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock