Search the forum,

Discuss Shower Not Getting Hot (gets warm, but unlike the taps in the room) in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Ive troubleshooted it being the anti scold needs adjusting, however I have taken everything off the faucet to as much as I can.
I have no idea how I get past where ive got to, any ideas?

Attachments

• PXL_20221229_120534589.jpg
    PXL_20221229_120534589.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 11
Is that even a thermostatic mixer, or is there a separate anti-scald thermostatic device? How hot is the hot pipe feeding the shower mixer? [EDIT- probably me barking up the wrong tree, though always good to check]

Some thermostatic mixers (most of them actually) will always mix in a significant amount of cold water and are unable to give water hotter than 10 degrees lower than the temperature of the unmixed hot water. The best one I installed was a Grohe (expensive) and it can deliver water to within 2 degrees. Might this be the problem?

Is that even a thermostatic mixer, or is there a separate anti-scald thermostatic device? How hot is the hot pipe feeding the shower mixer? [EDIT- probably me barking up the wrong tree, though always good to check]

Some thermostatic mixers (most of them actually) will always mix in a significant amount of cold water and are unable to give water hotter than 10 degrees lower than the temperature of the unmixed hot water. The best one I installed was a Grohe (expensive) and it can deliver water to within 2 degrees. Might this be the problem?
The hot water pipe feeding into the mixer is baking hot.
When turning the valve to get it warm, you have to turn it a number of times for it to reach the warm temp, and then you cant go any further.

The hot water pipe feeding into the mixer is baking hot.
When turning the valve to get it warm, you have to turn it a number of times for it to reach the warm temp, and then you cant go any further.
Good. That rules out an external blending valve.

Well, I think the issue may be that that there's a maximum temperature limiter that is set too low (your original idea), or that 'warm' to 'baking hot' is an inherent feature of the type of thermostatic valve you have. Or that the thermostatic cartridge is seized (limescale?) or otherwise faulty.

I suppose you could test my theory by measuring outlet temperature accurately and then varying the inlet hot water temperature at the boiler or cylinder. If the outlet temperature keeps a fairly precise number of degrees below the inlet temperature, then it's a part of the valve design and the only solution would be to increase the inlet temperature to a point that allows a decent output temperature.

Hi, so I managed to remove the tap part of the shower valve. Now I thought I was going to remove some sort of catridge which could be replace, but this is totally different.
Could someone be able to explain why the hot water is not coming out very hot with this type of system.

There are 2 picture, one of the tap part which shows the fittings, the other is the inside of the shower valve,

Attachments

• PXL_20230119_091031528.jpg
    PXL_20230119_091031528.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20230119_091005567.jpg
    PXL_20230119_091005567.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 3
I'd love to help, but find it hard to understand how something works without having it in front of me and being able to 'play' with it. I can't even make out if that's a thermostatic shower or not, I'm afraid.

Reply to Shower Not Getting Hot (gets warm, but unlike the taps in the room) in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock