Search the forum,

Discuss Shower mixer failure - replace or fix? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

On bad advice our builder installed a no brand/cheap built in shower mixer in our new bathroom 5 years ago.

It has stopped working - and the water is almost impossible to adjust to the right temperature - and changes temp when other taps in the house are turned on/off.

We have been told that we should replace the whole thing - which would mean cutting open the wall etc. etc.

I can't even figure out how to access the cartridge.

Do we need to replace the whole unit or can the cartridge be cleaned/replaced?

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• PXL_20210313_095306191.jpg
    PXL_20210313_095306191.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 25
1. The innards can be accessed by removing the round chrome shrouds, then removing the chrome wall plate.
2. Put the knobs back on, and take a photograph.
3. Take them off again and another photograph.
4. Dismantle as far as you can and another photograph.
5. Send photographs to showerdoc.com and see if they can identify the shower.
6. If they can, I'd suggest a new thermostatic cartridge.
7. While the innards are exposed, clean any filters and / or non return valves, likely to be where the pipework joins the shower body.

If it's very cheap and nasty, it may use the thermostatic cartridges that are available on ebay for less than £15. They'll be cheap and nasty too, but may be no worse than the original?

Or, if you're lucky, the old one way revive after a soak in citric acid. It has been known...

Thanks for your reply.
I have tried to remove the round chrome shrouds - but they don't seem to move.
Should I be able to unscrew them to remove?
Then how does the chrome wall plate come off?
Once I have access should the cartridge simply screw out.
(Sorry for the stupid questions).
Thanks.

If it's very cheap and nasty, it may use the thermostatic cartridges that are available on ebay for less than £15. They'll be cheap and nasty too, but may be no worse than the original?

Or, if you're lucky, the old one way revive after a soak in citric acid. It has been known...
If I can get it out I will try a soak and or replace. Thanks.

1. The innards can be accessed by removing the round chrome shrouds, then removing the chrome wall plate.

This turned into a TOTAL disaster.
WARNING everyone.
I decided to take another look at removing the chrome wall plate last night to see if I could access the cartridge.
I unscrewed the round chrome shrouds - as suggested by steadyon.
One of them came off quite easily by hand.
The other was more stiff.
While I was gently turning it with a wrench - boom!
Turned out that the chrome shrouds were the only thing holding the valves in.
So I had a huge water leak pouring down inside the wall for ages - while I uncovered and turned off the water at main.
Water pouring out of light fittings, switches and sockets below.
Nightmare.
Fuses blew.
I very stressful time was had my myself, wife and two small children . . .

Step 0: Isolate water, or at least have ready access to isolation valves.

I've broken this rule myself at times. Nearly learnt the hard way!

Step 0: Isolate water, or at least have ready access to isolation valves.

I've broken this rule myself at times. Nearly learnt the hard way!
My original question still remains . .

I was told it was not worth the trouble replacing the cartridge as the replacements always cause issues.

Do you think it is worthwhile replacing the cartridge (if I can find a match) - or should I bite the bullet and replace the whole valve?

I doubt the correct replacement cartridge will cause issues. Who said it would?
A local builder came round to look at another job (this was before the valve had gotten completely useless - just a little temperamental). I asked him if the valve was repairable. He said in his experience replacing the cartridge would probably not work - and/or would cause issues later on. He said he would check with his plumber and confirm. - Which he later said he had done.

Thanks for those of you who took the time to offer advice.

A follow up for anybody with a similar problem:

First I turned off the water at the main supply.
Then I removed the chrome face plate - which was only held in place by caulk - by carefully prying/leavering it off with a chisel.
Then I unscrewed the chrome 'shroud' (that was actually an integral part of the valve) and pulled the thermostatic cartridge out.

My local plumbers merchants did not have one like it in stock, but said they had only recently sold the last one of that type.

So I did an image search using google.
This linked to one (and only one) online supplier, plumbers-mate-sales.co.uk, who had the Cartridge I needed.

Trying to push the new thermostatic Shower Mixer Cartridge into the valve was very hard/stiff, which had me worried for a minute or two.

But - with a little gentle but firm pressure - it went in and is now working fine.

Reply to Shower mixer failure - replace or fix? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock