Discuss Shower Isolation Valve Location in the DIY Bathroom Remodelling Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Reaction score
I'm currently doing a bathroom and replacing a bath with a raised shower tray and cubicle. I have already sunk some pipes into the brick wall the shower will be going on. They are not yet soldered into the feed yet though. I have the feed coming in under the floorboards but don't see many options for fitment of isolation valves and am considering not fitting any. I am also considering that I could fit isolation valves under the floorboards with an access panel; I could do this where the basin would be and the basin unit would sit above the access panel. I'm not convinced I like the idea of compression joints under the floor boards though. The other possibility is there will be an area of about 200mm or so that will be boxed in where the raised shower joins to the basin cabinet. I could box this in by leave the top accessible This would be the section above the floor just before it bends down into the floor cavity.

I've attached some pics (I think!!!).

I would appreciate any views.

Thanks,

DazIMG_20190210_100538.jpg IMG_20190210_100350.jpg

townfanjon

Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
Yep not particularly good practice , but I probably wouldnt fit them on this type of job

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
No iso on them I would

Pickwickpick

Plumber
Reaction score
Probably tiled pal , not worth it for the times you may need to use them.( IMO of course)
Yep I agree that for the few times you need to isolate a shower, its not worth messing up tiling or spending inordinate amounts of time/money on it and it would be fine without. But as the OP specifically mentioned it as an option, I assumed he'd got somewhere to put the access hatch that wouldn't interfere to much with the finish.

B

Burger

Could you not get them fitted on the shower valve? Eg if you haven’t already picked your shower get them with them on?

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for all your ideas and replies.

Still thinking I could put them in the 200mm boxed area and leave it accessible somehow.

Could you not get them fitted on the shower valve? Eg if you haven’t already picked your shower get them with them on?
I have already got the shower. Not sure I understand how you mean anyway. Surely if some shower valves come with them on then if you need to change the shower valve in the future then you'll have to turn off at the mains still.

Thanks

Daz.

B

Burger

Thanks for all your ideas and replies.

Still thinking I could put them in the 200mm boxed area and leave it accessible somehow.

I have already got the shower. Not sure I understand how you mean anyway. Surely if some shower valves come with them on then if you need to change the shower valve in the future then you'll have to turn off at the mains still.

Thanks

Daz.
There is that yes, but I believe they also serve the purpose of saving water on the maintenance side of things, such as if you need to replace a washer in the valve, etc. Showers like the Trevi CTV have isolators on the elbows connecting the shower. Try putting them in the boxed in area then.

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
There is that yes, but I believe they also serve the purpose of saving water on the maintenance side of things, such as if you need to replace a washer in the valve, etc. Showers like the Trevi CTV have isolators on the elbows connecting the shower. Try putting them in the boxed in area then.
not many showers these days come with built in isos even then its best to leave alone as they normally leak when you move them 5-10 years after its been installed etc

Reply to Shower Isolation Valve Location in the DIY Bathroom Remodelling Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Plumbing Advice - Find Plumbers Jobs
Corgi Direct - Plumbers Forums Sponsor
Wetroom Store - PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
uHeat Forum Sponsor - PlumbersForums.net
Plumbase - PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Test4Less PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Power Shower Booster - Official PlumbersForums.net Sponsor

Top Bottom