Search the forum,

Discuss Shower installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sali

I recently had a shower installed. During the process the water was turned off. The next day the shower unit was leaking slightly when it wasn't on and also the cistern in the downstairs toilet (that was where the water was turned off). The plumber fixed the shower and then said that the problem with the cistern was related to the old imperial stopcock mechanism. The stopcock replacement would cost me.

Some weeks after the installation I noticed wet patches on the bathroom ceiling. I went to check and there is one of the shower connection pipes leaking very slowly at a joint, but the major leak is coming from the the pipe that goes into the tank, which wasn't changed when the shower was installed, although the shower pipes were attached to it. So when water is used or the ball-valve pushed down it leaks. The plumber has said that this was caused by a corroded valve. The tank has been in the house for years and I never had an issue before this work was carried out.

I would be interested in your feedback.

I would suggest that the leak to the downstairs toilet has been caused by a bit of crap from water supply/stopcock after the water has been turned off and then back on. Rewasher or replace ballvalve. The leak to the shower supply probably needs a tighten up or re-soldering and the leak to the tank i would suggest is again a bit of crap stuck in ball valve or the ball valve has been twisted around when making the shower pipe connection thus causing it to spray/fill on an angle rather than straight down or a fibre washer to the ballvalve supply. Either way in my opinion all these problems should be fixed by the plumber who fitted the shower with the only cost to you being any materials used.
I may obviously be wrong in my description as its impossible to tell whilst sitting in front a computer. Could you post photos?

Thanks for your reply.

Well, I'm being billed for the this work. I'm left to repair the ceiling myself or employ another tradesman. Unfortunately I don't have the 'corroded' valve that was removed. The plumber took it away. I could probably try to get some photos of the finished work. The problem is the pipe that goes through the tank - the one that takes the mains water supply. The pipe seems to secured either side of the tank and when I pressed on the ball-valve this pipe would leak outside of the tank and drip onto the roof joists. Do these 'valves' become corroded?

I've just let the cistern drip. The plumber says that as it's an imperial measurement, he couldn't get the parts so he'd have to replace the whole thing and it's going to 'cost'.

I feel like a fly caught in a trap.

change your plumber ,go to ciphe ,or ask a freind for one they recomend

sounds like he did do what was asked of him ,if scum has blocked things he carnt help that,and if ther was a leak on a new pipe he had solderd then he should have came out asap and sorted it ,,i dont think the guy should be billed for a new ceiling and everythin else,,unles what he done was a direct cause of the damage,and if so things happen people make mistakes so ask him to meet you half way on the cost

Seems to me that this plumber needs to slow down and check his work afterwards
He has probably done a good job, however all good will has been lost for the sake of 10mins checks :(
The mains stopcock leaking should have be checked after use, as it is a common faulty to occur and gland re packed or tightened, if it needed replacing arrangements could have been made
His pipework had small leak, pipework is visible so should have been checked after works complete and pipework filled, if it did not show up at first, it would have been visible the next day
The leaking pipe into tank was probably disturbed when pipework cut and teed into, joints should withhold such works but compression joints near to work area should have been checked
When I have finished a job, I check installation operation and soundness, no matter how rushed I am, I make sure the customer see’s me do it, not because I am a clever bas##rd, (Well there is that :D)
But
1. I have wasted too many hours going back to jobs for stupid little things when I was younger and inexperienced because I rushed them
I.e. not opening one of the valves I closed down, leaking glands, unchecked air locks, drain cock with slight weep, loose wire in control box, control settings not left as found, all 2 minute jobs that I have lost half a day going back to, as they are always the furthest jobs
2. If the customer sees you check all your work, they are happy and if something does go wrong, you come back and sort it and the customer is more likely to relate to situation
3. My little business is built on recommendations, no advertising and has taken a long time to build and could be severely damaged by the same word of mouth
So as you can see I check for pure selfish reasons really but the customer benefits as well :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shower installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm in my new build 2 years and the shower pump has died. I have an air to water unit downstairs is in the utility which I've been told is unvented and pressurised. The cold water feed into this cylinder is from the attic tank, not the mains as I turned off the mains stopcock to see if hot...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the cause. I would like a flow rate of about 12L/min. Here is my set-up: Standard gas boiler (not a combi) in the kitchen, have cold water tanks in the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
Hi, as you can see pictured I have a stopcock without a packing gland. Over the past few days my cistern inlet was suffering from an airlock and it was hammering constantly after filling. I turned off this stopcock, drained all the pipes, turned the taps back off and then let the water back...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
    • Winner
Hi all, I joined today and am a newbie at plumbing DIY. Thought I'd share my experience replacing the stopcock under my sink. The old one looked very corroded around the tap handle. An Anglian Water engineer was at the property measuring my water pressure and flow rate. When he saw the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock